Access to Internal Lower tailgate

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
Dxb2uk

Post by Dxb2uk »

afternoon all. been searching high and low and just cant seem to find anywhere. on our 2017 Disco 5 , Our internal (lower) tailgate has stopped working. It was making a funny click for a while when operating but now nothing. I can hear the switch trying to engage but nothing happens. Does anyone have any idea how to access that motor ? or any schematics? it sounds like a pulley or a screw has worked loose but cant get in there! any help much appreciated.

Gbe67

Post by Gbe67 »

Just had the same issue and took it apart today to see what the problem is and for me the hinge attaching the tailgate to the actuating arm has sheared. Not sure why and the arm had stopped moving have worked on it and stroking again but seems to be stroking too far which is maybe why it sheared the hinge. Access is a bit messy but you can see what is going on if you take the carpeted cover off (2 screws) and then the hard plastic panel with thehole to access the spare tyre jack. Arm and hinge are at the left of the boot as you face the car
davidjanstyles

Post by davidjanstyles »

I have the hinge snapping twice now. Assume it was due to small stone dropping down the gap and jamming the joint.
At least this is what the workshop thinks. Referred to Land Rover but they were not interested . Next time I will have one made in stainless, it will be cheaper!