spare wheel protector sheet

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
marlon734

Post by marlon734 »

Dear Members
I have a question in relation to my recently purchased Disco 5 MY2020.

I have got the car in a good used condition at the local Land Rover dealer. So far I am happy with it.

However I have purchased it without spare wheel. So I thought it is just fine to buy the spare wheel winch. Done so far I have noticed that underneath the booth just behind the rear axle there is missing the spare wheel protector metal sheet.

On the first sample photo with a fully equipped disco 5 shown below you‘ll see the configuration with mounted spare wheel. The sheet is between the wheel and the exhaust pipe. I suppose the purpose of this sheet ist to protect the spare wheel from being burned by the hot exhaust pipes due to the proximity of the hot surface.

1730E8E9-CE41-491E-830D-5A8679549588.jpeg

The second photo shown below shows the actual situation in my car without this protecting shield.

My dealer told me that this is normal when no spare wheel is mounted. However, as you can see on the photo of my car there are also openly exposed the wires with the connectors just over the rear axle.

81F6EA41-D9AB-42DB-A7F3-E41138ECE270.jpeg

I‘m not quite sure if this is right what my dealer told me. Exposed wire connectors together with wet conditions seem to me a bad idea.

So my question to you:

1. Does anyone has an idea how should I see this issue?
2. Is this normal?
3. Can this missing protector shield be identified with part number or technical term (in order to make a web-query)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marlon

Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Sorry can't help with the wheel enclosure. But you will also be missing a anti theft protection plate. This stops undesirables from cutting the winch cable. LR do one also a guy on the more popular forum does a very good one also (Ray).
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
jskinner1995

Post by jskinner1995 »

Hi there,
I have a question regarding this topic. I have just ordered a new D5 23.5MY. I originally wanted it with the space saver but have since been told by the dealer that this is temporarily unavailable. This meant my order would have been put on hold. Because I want a spare wheel, I was given the option to go for a full size spare but it is nearly £1000 extra! My question is…. can this be retrofitted? If i ordered without a spare wheel, is it possible to pick a cheap one up off eBay and pop it underneath? Will I need any extra bits etc? Thank you in advance!
dgardel

Post by dgardel »

YES see the other post
Robleedham

Post by Robleedham »

Hi, I have the same issue, did you manage to find the protector sheet ?