Low battery fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
Ellis1096

Post by Ellis1096 »

This is my 2018 disco 5 hse lux low battery won’t start so new jlr battery £260, so put this on hoping it’ll start and no won’t even turn engine over just click so put multimeter on battery 12.6v and on starter12.6 v then press start button then starter motor drops to 7.6v so not sure what’s going on with it
I’m out of warranty and only done 10,409 miles from new genuine
So any help is great fully received

WmDisco

Post by WmDisco »

Similar experience a couple of days ago - 2018 SE. No power to open doors or anything else.
Called Breakdown - AA said battery was flat but not apparently faulty. Also Alternator fine. He thought something had drained it but not clear what. After brief charge, car was started. Drove it to local dealer - Start/Stop functioning within 10 miles , with no re-start problems.
As at last week the car was less than 3 years old. Its now over 3 years old! Dealer plans to look at it this week. I am expecting to cite Extended Warranty if there are any problems.
Watch this space ......
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Apparently recall on my2021 for battery issues don't know if same.

https://disco5.co.uk/forum/post33358.html#33358
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
David May

Post by David May »

My 2017 Disco 5 HSE Luxury has given low battery warnings since I bought it new. I've had the dead battery syndrome several times where I've had to open the door manually to open the bonnet. The battery was changed under warranty in September 2019 but I continued to have problems. Eventually I bought a battery booster so I didn't have to keep calling Green Flag. My local dealer (Beadles of Sidcup) have said they would like to look into the problem once a suitable car was available for me, but I'm now fed up with chasing them. All the lights would turn on and drain the battery even further, but I couldn't open the doors by touch or with the fob, and so resorted to manual entry. After the last episode, I decided to turn the lights off instead of leaving them on auto and, touch wood, I have only had one failure in the past several months. If I have had to put the lights on auto for a journey, I always make a point of switching them off when I get home. Might be worth trying. has anyone else had all the lights come on when the battery fails ?
WmDisco

Post by WmDisco »

Advised its the Telematics Control Unit that is draining the battery. New one hopefully next week
WmDisco

Post by WmDisco »

New battery and Telematics unit now fitted. Took 6 weeks because of supply issues. So far so good!
SRH

Post by SRH »

hi, i have a disco 5 2018 hse lux... didnt drive for last couple of months and tried getting into the car last week and the doors wont open, think battery is completely dead... anyone knows how i can jump start the car? is the battery in the boot? not sure how to access and open the trunk manually?