towing electrics

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
ivantaylor41

Post by ivantaylor41 »

I recently changed from a Disco 4 to a 5 (2017). I tow a caravan and with the 4 everything worked perfectly, but on the 5, after a few minutes of towing the caravan sidelights stop working. All other lights continue as normal. When I stop the unit, switch off the ignition and then restart the sidelights come back on, has anyone had the same problem or have any ideas??

Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Hi Ivan not noticed this happening on mine but then you may be more observant than me. I'm assuming when on main lights at night everything performs as it should?
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Further to my previous post. Just towed the van for a hour and half all lights stayed on.
ivantaylor41

Post by ivantaylor41 »

Even when I put the main lights on the caravan side lights stay off unless I stop the car and restart it, then same thing happens. I had thought of a loose connection, but the side lights have separate leads as supply, but only one earth. Perhaps I should try connecting the earth to one of the other two on the 13 pin plug. Any thoughts?
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Sorry Ivan no idea. Certainly sounds like poor connection somewhere. Good luck
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

ivantaylor41

Post by ivantaylor41 »

CraigP, sorry for the delay in response, just had 4 grandchildren staying for the week. Thank you for the link; it doesn't solve my particular problem but perhaps points more to the car (possibly software). I thought about the earth being faulty but since this also covers the brakes and indicators which keep working it might be something in the car which switches the lights off. I am not convinced either way. I will try checking with the car engine running, but not moving to see if the lights still switch off, at least it will eliminate a loose connection if they switch off.
Thanks for your support.

Ivan
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Hi Ivan so what happens to the lights when after they have switched themselves off but you stop but don't swt the engine off do they remain off would it be possible to check with a meter then to see if voltage has dropped to side lights?