67 Reg Discovery 5 Potential Problems Advice

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
Kattmartin

Post by Kattmartin »

Hi
I am keen to buy a 2ltr model of the above which I saw in a Lexus dealership. It is in lovely condition and has only 23000 miles on the clock and I have been offered a fair trade-in price for my Discovery 4 plus 1 yr's warranty. I checked the previous work that had been done on it and it had had a replacement windscreen because of a leak.

However, following a bad experience many years ago with an Isuzu, I always do the research before I buy a car and I've been reading horror stories about the 2ltr Ingenium engine all day and about problems with the crank shaft/oil dilution/ DPF.

I also had a conversation with an 3ltr owner who told me to stay away from the 2ltr engines and warned me about the windscreen leak and possible future problems arising from the ensuing damage in the electrics.

Can anyone advise me regarding this please - are these issues as widespread as appears?

Also, would there be any future problems if I go ahead with a purchase outwith the LR dealerships?

Thanks

LynG1066

Post by LynG1066 »

I had a stunning Discovery 2.0 that I got after changing from my Disco 4 and I still regret it.

Windscreen leaking like sieve in turn knackered the electrics and heater motor needed replaced. Only 22k on the clock GUTTED is an understatement.

What I will say is the 2L is just not kicking out enough power in comparison to the Disco 4. If I had to do it all again I would stay with the Disco 4 but they are getting a bit dated now.

Im thinking on changing to a RR Sport.

Good luck :-)
Kattmartin

Post by Kattmartin »

Thanks for this. it breaking down all the time no doubt that the new model is lovely but I'm hearing so much now that I think I would be worrying about these issues all the time.
Disco Jim

Post by Disco Jim »

Hi,
Might be a bit late on commenting, but I have a 2.0ltr HSE 2018 bought from Parks in Ayr nearly a year ago 25000 miles, apart from a rear boot tail lamp replacement + new TCU the cars been very good, I've had 46 mpg on motorways etc, Me being a bit past the boy racing thing I think the car can move if required, I also pull an 1800KG caravan with it, many times & it pulls well. I always change the oil & filter mid way between services this insures no oil dilution damage to the engine, It's now at 32000 miles running fine, towing down to Norwich next week on hols not worried about engine at all. It's still under warranty with LR at the moment but when that runs out in Sep this year I will be buying a warranty from Warranty Direct. Hope that helps.

Cheers.
Kattmartin

Post by Kattmartin »

Thank you for your response - definitely a good idea to get a warranty
The highlander

Post by The highlander »

I’ve got a 2lt and not one problem. I’ve had D3 and D4s and I can’t see how it’s under powered. I also know main dealership LR mechanics who rate the engine above the 3lt in terms of reliability.

If you’re disaster planning, when the manufacturers warranty runs out, take the LR branded one. It’s not cheap at £1016, but it appears better than the alternatives., not least because if the faults not covered under the policy, LR tend to make a goodwill gesture which they don’t always with the competition.