New timing chain at 39k miles

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
Roneyj05

Post by Roneyj05 »

Hi everyone. I have a 39k miles 2017 2.0 HSE disco 5. It was at the dealers today for an airbag fault and after it was scanned the dealers have told me that it’s logged several camshaft position errors and also some EGR flow issues. I’m the second owner of this disco and just picked it up. All work will be totally FOC and won’t cost me a penny. Should I walk away now or get the work done and be glad it’s not costing me. I love the vehicle, it’s perfect and in great condition etc. I’m just cautious of issues down the line after the engines been out for the timing chain replacement etc. I know they are designed to last a “lifetime”

Work required is full timing chain replacement and egr cooler filter and air leak.

No rattling, no power loss or warning lights for engine.

cmcgee123

Post by cmcgee123 »

HI Roney,

I have the same issue 2017 discovery 5 47,000 miles needing a new timing chain, spoke to Lane Rover and they said they will look into good will gesture, was you car still under warranty ? Or have the acknowledge that this is common problem and are willing to replace FOC?

Any help or advice would be great.

Many Thanks

Calum
Tommy 31

Post by Tommy 31 »

Same issue here. Discovery 5 year 2017 with 46,000 miles on the clock .A red light warning came on saying engine oil critically low .(checked the oil and it was not low, local garage checked oil and confirmed oil levels were good. Brought it to Beadles Landrover and they diagnosed a stretched timing chain . Landrover would not take any responsibility or contribute .
Fortunately (or Unfortunately) as I had just bought the car 2 months earlier , it had a 3 month warranty but only up to a cap of £1,000. The Warranty company paid £1 k with the Second hand dealership contributing the remainder, but I had to bring it to a local garage as JLR wanted 2.5 times the amount to replace the timing chain.
I also test drove a similar D5 model 2017 with 45,0000 miles prior to buying my D5 and it went into limp mode on the test drive with a very noisy engine .This was the same issue as the same warning light came on . So out of 2 Landrover Discovery 5's I drove within 2 months of each other both had timing chain issues. Cannot be a coincidence .
JRL have an issue that is manifesting about now as avg mileage on 2017 is around the 45,000 to 50,000 mark. Watch out for 'Engine Oil Critically Low 'warning and get it to a garage sooner rather than later.