Loss of Electrical Power, Flat Battery & Gearbox Fault.

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
MackAnne

Post by MackAnne »

I have a 20 plate Disco 5 with 12k miles.
Driving along yesterday and we lost all electrical power for about 2 seconds, the engine stopped, all the screens went off and then quickly came back on along with a myriad of warning lights.
Stopped the engine, let it reset and everything started up fine and on we went with our journey, no issues.

Today, I went out this morning in it, no problems.
The wife takes it into work a short while later, she parks it up in the car park, nips into the office and comes out again to find that everything is dead, no electrical power at all. The key doesn’t work, no central locking, the lights don’t work, the ignition doesn’t work etc etc.

I Call the Landrover helpline, they send an AA man out who diagnoses a flat battery... doesn’t sound right to me but whatever, it’s running now so we just need to get it home.

She drives 5 mins down the road and the car starts shuddering, it then comes up with a “Gearbox Fault Detected” warning on the screen, she pulls over and now she cannot shift it into Park, it’s stuck in Drive....

Has anyone ever experienced similar issues?

DRW

Post by DRW »

There was an issue with the earth lead from the batt to earth, the mounting was an issue and JLR bought out a modification, maybe worth checking the earth strap ??

DRW
larratt

Post by larratt »

I had the same issue take the negative lead from the stupid nutsert below the battery and put it on a better bolt. Mine now works
pip123

Post by pip123 »

I had a similar problem over the past three weeks on my Jan 2020 Disco 5 Landmark SDV6. Strange electrical events such as the vehicle system shutting down at traffic lights. Error messages that the Hill Descent/Dynamic Stability/Front Parking Sensors/Autonomous Braking were no longer available, along with a gearbox selector locked in Drive.

I phoned Land Rover Assistance and 75 minutes later a technician arrived. On hearing my description of the fault he open his mini socket set, and headed straight for the battery in the car boot. Five minutes later he started the car and stated that he had moved the battery earth cable to a more solid location. I include a photo to show the fix. The nut and post in the foreground is the original location. I hope this helps!

disco 5 battery earth.jpg

richroof

Post by richroof »

Hi.
This fault is common on the D5 and happened to mine a few months ago. The welded stud is not properly attached causing battery issues. The fix the technician did is only temporary as that stud is for interior fixings only and man enough for starting the car. Make sure they take the car to the dealer for a new stud to be riveted on or you will have problems again.
Thanks
Rich
David May

Post by David May »

I have a 67 plate Disco 5 HSE Luxury and have had the message "low battery please start the engine" pretty much since I had it. Just before the 3 year warranty expired, the car was dead. called LR assistance and a mechanic arrived 35 mins later, a local guy. He got into the car and popped the bonnet then started the car with a booster. He then looked at the battery and said the earthing was not good and he reterminated it just as the previous guy stated. He fitted a replacement battery (FOC under warranty) and 3 months later, the car was again dead. Called Green Flag, who got it started and then I decided to invest in a booster for myself. Good job I did, 3 weeks later car was dead again but I was able to start it. It goes in for a 64,000 mile service at the end of Feb and I've informed them about the battery issue. I have decided to lock the car but not alarm it in case that is draining the battery - so far so good ( weeks).
pip123

Post by pip123 »

Thanks to all who posted. My Disco has just returned from a service where the dealer (Hatfields, Shrewsbury) carried out the permanent repair as shown in the photo. I had informed them in advance so they had ordered the stud and ensured workshop time for the work. My heated seats now warm up as they did when I picked up the vehicle last January. The earth stud problem is indeed a common fault on this model and in US, Canada and EU it is a vehicle recall - JLR code N400. Why this is not a recall in the UK is beyond me, but I'm delighted that the dealer was more than happy to fix the car.

20210108_175229.jpg