New Engine Needed after 2 years & 23k miles

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
rjdons85

Post by rjdons85 »

It’s interesting that we are not alone with what feels like very similar engine failures.. LR obviously keeping it very quiet.

I have been without mine for two months but still rocking about in a 3.0 L Velar loan car :p and can’t complain too much. What I can complain about is that JLR Peter Vardy sent a half soaked email 3 weeks ago saying engine change going well... I logged onto the Remote App last night and noticed it had been road tested on Wednesday and still no update after that... shocking I’m having to use my Remote app to find out what’s happened to my car.

Very concerned that I’m getting a reconditioned engine and future issues with 3 yrs HP to pay off and only 1 year warranty. Definitely getting an extended warranty after this!

Hopefully I’ll get an update next week, but alas I actually prefer the Velar but not got an extra 20k to afford the one I’m in!

rjdons85

Post by rjdons85 »

Hope everyone else has had a good result with engine warranty work, any clues to the issues?

I picked up mine after 9 weeks at Peter Vardy JLR Aberdeen. The only information I could gain was that metal fragments in the engine oil = LR approving a new engine without any fault finding.

The garage did advise that I also got two new turbos with the first been full of oil and the second whining when they road tested the car and they replaced this as well. I don’t think LR made any money on my Disco!

50 ish miles of driving and every feels and sounds fine. Fingers crossed to 3 yrs more engine free troubles....
penners

Post by penners »

Update on our case:

After 4 weeks LR Extended warranty assessor has agreed to dealer’s assessment that new engine required and have authorised this.
Technician at dealer explained that they think seals around piston had failed and therefore caused scorring to the inside of two of the 4 cylinders.
Dealer not sure if there will be any delay or not in new engine and associated parts being available / delivered.

So far just dealt with dealer / extended warranty but am planning to raise my concerns with LR customer service directly that 3.5 year old engine has failed - not sure what warranty the new engine will come with......
Heatherhound

Post by Heatherhound »

Mine broke down in Spain after 18months - needed new engine too - about 30k miles - electrics went on motorway
No real reason for this given to me by JLR - just oil issue
Given up with JLR - 2 others like this at the York dealer
Heatherhound

Post by Heatherhound »

JLR are keeping this very quiet - I still have no info on why my engine seized - again straight after a series of warnings lastly one on oil. I was left on a motorway with no power at all ! My new engine has done 6 k and now dealer wants me to go for 40k service. I have NO CONFIDENCE that the same won’t happen to new engine but have no extended warranty - definitely getting shot at the end of 3 year hp despite loving the car
rm100

Post by rm100 »

My car is now awaiting delivery of ghe new engine , ETA at dealership is 25/9/20 . LR are fitting the engine as a goodwill gesture for free, although if i want a 2 yr warranty on the engine i will have to pay 10% - £1300.
When ghe car first went into the garage i asked for a full report on the cause etc , still not got this .....
Its not a brand new engine that gets fitted its a reconditioned engine , LR have a different name for it ,ONLY cars that are 3 months old or less will get a brand new engine .
Heatherhound

Post by Heatherhound »

I have also posted with my car needing a new engine after 18 months - JLR won’t extend the warranty on the new engine
I too drive in Europe - to Spain and my experience of Spanish AA wasnt great And Hatfields the dealer who sold me the car say it’s just the risk you take buying a car !!
rm100

Post by rm100 »

rm100 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:13 am My car is now awaiting delivery of ghe new engine , ETA at dealership is 25/9/20 . LR are fitting the engine as a goodwill gesture for free, although if i want a 2 yr warranty on the engine i will have to pay 10% - £1300.
When ghe car first went into the garage i asked for a full report on the cause etc , still not got this .....
Its not a brand new engine that gets fitted its a reconditioned engine , LR have a different name for it ,ONLY cars that are 3 months old or less will get a brand new engine .
I have now been told the engine will arrive on the 6/10 . The dealer said they cant start the work taking the old engine out until the replacement has arrived , although i went into the garage 2 weeks ago to get some belongings out the boot , surprised to be told you have to wait as the technician needs to get the ramp lowered 🤦‍♂️.
You couldnt make it up , they have no shame .
I will update ....
rm100

Post by rm100 »

rm100 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:35 pm
rm100 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:13 am My car is now awaiting delivery of ghe new engine , ETA at dealership is 25/9/20 . LR are fitting the engine as a goodwill gesture for free, although if i want a 2 yr warranty on the engine i will have to pay 10% - £1300.
I have now been told the engine will arrive on the 6/10 . The dealer said they cant start the work taking the old engine out until the replacement has arrived , although i went into the garage 2 weeks ago to get some belongings out the boot , surprised to be told you have to wait as the technician needs to get the ramp lowered 🤦‍♂️.
I will update ....
I have now been told the engine is due to arrive tomorrow 9/10 . I asked if they can check the engine has left its starting destination ? "Unfortunately not " was the answer. If the engine hasnt arrived tomorrow im going to contact the dealership manager .
I will update ....
rm100

Post by rm100 »

rm100 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:35 pm
I will update ....
I was told by the dealer the engine never turned up on 06/10 and was now due on the 9/10. I called the dealer on the 9/10 and was told new ETA was the 25/10 , i said that this was unacceptable and that i demand they find out where the engine was , this was on Friday afternoon .I told the dealership that i was contacting customer services department at JLR on monday to see what the issue was .
To my surprise, i had an email on Saturday morning to say the engine had arrived and they would start work on the Monday and have the car ready on Friday.
Ill let you make your own take on this ......