New Engine Needed after 2 years & 23k miles

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
rjdons85

Post by rjdons85 »

Hi,

I have searched through this forum and online to find details of anyone else having to get a new engine on a <2 year old Discovery 5 2.0l... Is anyone aware of this as I am concerned about longer term ownership!?

I am no closer to knowing the issue, but after nearly two years of ownership and 23000 miles, I didn’t realise my engine was catastrophically failing!

On a drive to my local dealer last week to investigate an DEF no engine starts intermittent fault (diagnosed by AA assistance as a NOx is emission sensor fault) my car suddenly begin vibrating on higher speed accelerations (60-70mph). This exasperated significantly over the next five minutes to it sounding like the engine had something banging around inside then every warning code imaginable appeared and the vehicle shutdown with low a battery!!

After two days the dealer called to say there was metal in the engine oil and I would be getting a new engine under warranty!!

I am contacting them next week to get an update on the work needed/timeline (a new engine apparently takes 48 hrs labour). I am currently Hire Purchase with 3 yrs left and any advice on this is appreciated, I.e. money back, new car or on going issues...

Without being able to find anyone else having to get a new 2.0l engine my concern is any knock-on effects on the rest of car from a failing engine?!

I have roughly one year of warranty left, do Land Rover provide extended warranties on significant parts like an entire new engine?

Cheers
Robbie

Current: Discovery 5 2.0 SE (RR Velar loan car..)

Previous: Freelander 2 2.0 GS and Freelander 1 2.0 E

tempestv8

Post by tempestv8 »

Hi Robbie,

Any update on what happened to your engine? Presumably you've been looked after by your dealer under a warranty claim?
Mark7

Post by Mark7 »

Robbie
I have had exactly there seem issue as yours. mine was on a 2018 Disco too with metal found in the oil and a new replacement engine fitted. i had a horrendous time trying to sort this out between the dealer and LR HO. Have you resolved matters.
Mark
rm100

Post by rm100 »

My car was taken to MD today by recovery truck. As its the weekend i wont know the outcome but sounds like engine . My warranty run out in june , car has only covered 32000 miles with full MD LR service history.
I am sure i will not be paying for a blown engine after 32000 miles on a 63k car.
Mark7

Post by Mark7 »

Let us know how you get on.
rjdons85

Post by rjdons85 »

Hi Folks,

After six weeks of little or no updates from Peter Vardy Aberdeen I have been told my D5 is currently in the workshop with the engine change going 'well.' To be fair, I have had a 3.0L R-dynamic Velar for 6 weeks, other than lack of communications/updates, I cannot complain too much.... its an amazing car!

I have probed on the issues and a list of the work needed, but no response from the Services Dept on this... The irony of the whole saga is that I was driving to the garage to get a NOx Sensor / DEF 'no starts' warning investigated!!! I do hope this is also fixed!?!?

I will share any information the reason for the metal fragments in the engine oil and what they have , but reckon Peter Vardy wont be able to provide any information as I assume the engine will go back to LR for investigation/FMA...? Could it be a crank shaft issue JLR are keeping quiet??

For those who had new engines, how have these performed?

My worry is the work causing other gremlins to appear... I do have 1 year of warranty, and then 2 further years of HP to pay off...

I will provide an update later in the week.
rm100

Post by rm100 »

rm100 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:07 pm My car was taken to MD today by recovery truck. As its the weekend i wont know the outcome but sounds like engine . My warranty run out in june , car has only covered 32000 miles with full MD LR service history.
I am sure i will not be paying for a blown engine after 32000 miles on a 63k car.
The service desk called on monday to ask what was wrong with the car as the service department had closed for the weekend when the car was dropped off on Saturday. I had to call the garage on monday to ask what was wrong ? I waa told it will need a new engine and that a technical report will need to be sent to the trchnical team at LR HQ . I asked for a copy of the report also ,”yes no problem “ i was told .
Now thursday at 18.00 and after numerous calls from my side I eventually get to speak to service manager.
They are still waiting to hear from technical team at LR HQ , looks like car will be off the road for 6 weeks .
The warranty run out in june and i have been told as a good will gesture they might pay 80% of costs, find out soon !
LR have no courtesy cars at ghe moment due to COV19, if i want one i need to take it up with LR cus services....
I will update .
penners

Post by penners »

Interested in your outcome - our 2017 HSE SD4 is currently at Farnell Leeds. Thankfully we have the LR extended warranty in place but have been told be dealer “it needs a new engine” - warranty company have asked for engine to be stripped down to further investigate..... only covered just over 40k so again not what I’d expect from a £63k list price car.

Our problem was less dramatic in that we had no warning lights just poor torque when setting off with engine cold and sometimes not at all / stalling.... appears 2 out of 4 cylinders not maintaining their pressure.....
rm100

Post by rm100 »

rm100 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:37 pm
rm100 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:07 pm My car was taken to MD today by recovery truck. As its the weekend i wont know the outcome but sounds like engine . My warranty run out in june , car has only covered 32000 miles with full MD LR service history.
The service desk called on monday to ask what was wrong with the car as the service department had closed for the weekend when the car was dropped off on Saturday. I had to call the garage on monday to ask what was wrong ? I waa told it will need a new engine and that a technical report will need to be sent to the trchnical team at LR HQ . I asked for a copy of the report also ,”yes no problem “ i was told .
Now thursday at 18.00 and after numerous calls from my side I eventually get to speak to service manager.
They are still waiting to hear from technical team at LR HQ , looks like car will be off the road for 6 weeks .
The warranty run out in june and i have been told as a good will gesture they might pay 80% of costs, find out soon !
LR have no courtesy cars at ghe moment due to COV19, if i want one i need to take it up with LR cus services....
I will update .
Latest is that LR uk wont supply any loan cars while my car is off the road , ghe customer service advisor wasnt the most pleasant to deal with , basically “it has no warranty so tuff luck “ .
I will wait and see what the goodwill gesture will be . LR want the dealership to do further investigation and are now removing part of the gearbox . I will update when i have more news ....
Sassydug

Post by Sassydug »

Hi there, we had just had our Disco5, 2litre, 18 plate, 43,000 serviced 8 weeks ago at Lancaster Milton Keynes.

Last Friday 04/09/2020 we drove the car for 5 minutes when the engine started to make a tapping noise, it then went in limp mode and stopped. I managed to get it started again briefly to get us off the roundabout but it stopped again not far from LandRover MK and wouldn't start again! I said to my husband I think its the engine, he didn't think this would happen in a 2 year old car. They have had it now over a week and keep avoiding our calls, we finally got through to them yesterday 11/09/2020 and they've said they are now waiting for costs for a new engine!! How on earth a 2 year old cars engine can go I do not know. We had a discovery 3 which was a nightmare car and we part x this for the new disco 5 18 months ago. I'm not sure either car is any good!! We have a 2003 plate Mercedes ML 220,000 miles and we have never had half as many problems as we have with both Discoverys.

Let me know how you get on with your Discovery and I will keep you updated with ours, if they change the engine I will expect a guarantee for another 2 years for from Land Rover.

I am concerned for the long term use of the car as we drive to France 4 times a year, if the engine can go in a 2 year old car after 43,000 miles without any fault lights showing on the dash then I'm concerned that other things might go wrong!!