New Engine Needed after 2 years & 23k miles

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
SRT100

Post by SRT100 »

My experience is frighteningly similar, found this forum after searching frantically for info. On 07/08/21 @ 38k miles the engine management light came on my 2017 2.0L D5 (owned from new). Not far from home so turned back, rattling sound started and continued 10mins away from house. No other associated warnings!! Called LD assist who advised warranty expired MAR 21 (even though I payed for extended warranty through now defunct dealership) Anyway...... local garage plugged in diagnostics - myriad of warnings from nox sensor issues to camshaft position errors. Then......... on checking oil level (no oil warnings illuminated) it was found engine contained zero oil. All previous services and warranty issues carried out by JLR. What is of greatest concern, is that this particular problem seems to manifest around 40k miles without any warning!!

pleadsom

Post by pleadsom »

Update on mine. They called today and confirmed it needs a new engine (which I knew of course).

Cost... £14k plus VAT... yes. Crazy sum.

I now await news on what they will pay.
pleadsom

Post by pleadsom »

Follow up to the above which may help some people's fears.

LR agreed to fund the entire £17,500 bill even with the car being now over 4 years old. All sorted via Hatfields in Liverpool who did a great job for me.
charles1

Post by charles1 »

Hello I am in the same position. 54k. Owned from new fully serviced by Lloyd LR. Not sure quite how to handle things but have paid £300 for them to investigate engine and then report to jlr. I would appreciate a contact with pleadsome. I think I have dispute insurance.
teddyg123

Post by teddyg123 »

I am in the same position. 2017 plate. 38,000 miles and have been advised I need a complete new engine.

Total cost: £14k. For goodwill they have advised they will take that down to £7k.

As I have only owned the car for less than a year and that it was only done 3k miles in my care (due to pandemic) I am at a loss of who should foot the cost.

We have bought the car from a private dealer, even though it has been within the land rover service plan.
teddyg123

Post by teddyg123 »

pleadsom wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:12 pm Follow up to the above which may help some people's fears.

LR agreed to fund the entire £17,500 bill even with the car being now over 4 years old. All sorted via Hatfields in Liverpool who did a great job for me.
Could you share how you managed to get the full bill covered by the dealer?
Africandreamer

Post by Africandreamer »

Hello
I realise you’ve probably stopped looking at this forum considering you’ve sorted your issue.
My problem is almost exactly the same except i was driving from Uganda to tanzania on holiday. I won’t bore you with the long story but it’s been a drama, and I was wondering how you managed to get your invoice paid in full. I’m contemplating returning my car to uk and specifically sending it to the garage you Recomended as I have very little confidence in the dealership in dar es salaam
I’m extremely happy for you with your end result, many others have not been so lucky
Well done
Many thanks
pleadsom

Post by pleadsom »

Hi, sorry I stopped checking this after it got sorted.

Slight amendment to what I said last. They had called me and said it would be entirely covered but then called again a week or so later and said 'sorry but there has been a 'misunderstanding'. I knew what was coming and long story short they said their branch had misunderstood head office and they were actually only willing to pay 80%.

I could have argued of course but 3 months odd without a car and no guarantee of success anyway I just said fine and agreed. I'd have bitten their hand off for £2k anyway and was a good result.

I say £2k and 20% above but of course that's not 20% of a total of 17500 that I was first quoted and the actual invoice I got at the end was more like 11000. On collecting the car I asked about these figures and he said 17500 would have been a brand new engine but this was an 'exchange engine' hence the lower price.

Someone above asked how I did it. I didn't really do anything. I gave them the car, she said they'd put the case to head office, I said I've got a lot to say about it shall I tell you now, she said no save all that until you see the result and then we can argue. I was therefore all set for a zero or low % offer and at that stage would have gone legal but it just never came to that. Maybe because I'm a solicitor and emailed them from work and dropped the odd hint that had an effect but probably not.

I think I just got lucky. They did look I think to escape on service history and they grilled me on that and made out I'd missed one but did then admit I hadn't. I think that could be fatal or near fatal to a claim if service history is not bang up to date and with proper dealers.

Happy to speak to anyone to help but I didn't really do much. I got lucky and or Hatfields did a good job fighting my case (car being 4 years old and not bought off them which they didn't like either).
Tommy 31

Post by Tommy 31 »

I put this on a separate thread regarding timing chains but it belongs in this thread also.

Same issue here. Discovery 5 year 2017 with 46,000 miles on the clock .A red light warning came on saying engine oil critically low .(checked the oil and it was not low, local garage checked oil and confirmed oil levels were good. Brought it to Beadles Landrover and they diagnosed a stretched timing chain . Landrover would not take any responsibility or contribute .
Fortunately (or Unfortunately) as I had just bought the car 2 months earlier , it had a 3 month warranty but only up to a cap of £1,000. The Warranty company paid £1 k with the Second hand dealership contributing the remainder, but I had to bring it to a local garage as JLR wanted 2.5 times the amount to replace the timing chain.
I also test drove a similar D5 model 2017 with 45,0000 miles prior to buying my D5 and it went into limp mode on the test drive with a very noisy engine .This was the same issue as the same warning light came on . So out of 2 Landrover Discovery 5's I drove within 2 months of each other both had timing chain issues. Cannot be a coincidence .
JRL have an issue that is manifesting about now as avg mileage on 2017 is around the 40,000 to 50,000 mark. Watch out for 'Engine Oil Critically Low 'warning and get it to a garage sooner rather than later.

I would suggest not to put oil in your car on this warning 'Engine Oil Critically Low' as overfilling it with oil can create serious engine problems also.

Check the oil levels first as somehow a stretched timing chain triggers the above warning ...(well it did on my vehicle) .

A broken timing chain leads to an immediate catastrophic engine failure.
Landrover know about this issue with this model and I have heard from a mechanic that the timing chains that they installed originally were too weak /thin/ probably to cut production costs by £50. They should be doing a full recall on these engines if they want to maintain their premier branding and compensating owners that have had to go bear the brunt..
the_wilb

Post by the_wilb »

2017 discovery 5 2.0l HSE 37000 miles.
Engine died just as I was approaching a Citroen garage. I managed to pull into the forecourt and it stopped. The guys came out saying they heard it like a bag of spanner’s. As I pulled onto the forecourt, the critically low oil message displayed which was the first and only warning message I had. It had been serviced by JLR the day before and I thought “they haven’t put the new oil in” but the AA guy checked the oil level and it was full. The car was transported to Chester LR and they informed me today, “low pressure on cylinder 1 and terrible banging noises” “it needs a new engine”. It’s always been serviced by Inchcape Land Rover in Chester and this last service was the special winter service deal where they replace all the oils and filters etc so the oil was brand new and the old oil only replaced last April so had only done about 6k. This car was my retirement present to myself to look after us and give reliability as I’m also disabled.
Within 3 months It had a new windscreen after leaks were coming in at the top over the dash which caused electronics problems and replacements. Just after it came out of warranty, the windscreen leaked again in exactly the same place but I still had to pay 50% towards the replacement although it obviously hadn’t been fitted correctly AGAIN. It’s had a new hydraulic pump for the suspension and a partial rear wiring loom replacement. Now it’s needing the new engine. I took out extended warranty with motoeasy as Land Rover (after many many calls) are still going to contact me about extending the warranty which of course never happened. I’m hoping that motoeasy honour the warranty as I can’t afford to pay for a replacement for my retirement 63k dream car. It’s now becoming a nightmare.