New Engine Needed after 2 years & 23k miles

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
SRT100

Post by SRT100 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:26 pm

My experience is frighteningly similar, found this forum after searching frantically for info. On 07/08/21 @ 38k miles the engine management light came on my 2017 2.0L D5 (owned from new). Not far from home so turned back, rattling sound started and continued 10mins away from house. No other associated warnings!! Called LD assist who advised warranty expired MAR 21 (even though I payed for extended warranty through now defunct dealership) Anyway...... local garage plugged in diagnostics - myriad of warnings from nox sensor issues to camshaft position errors. Then......... on checking oil level (no oil warnings illuminated) it was found engine contained zero oil. All previous services and warranty issues carried out by JLR. What is of greatest concern, is that this particular problem seems to manifest around 40k miles without any warning!!

pleadsom

Post by pleadsom » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:53 pm

Update on mine. They called today and confirmed it needs a new engine (which I knew of course).

Cost... £14k plus VAT... yes. Crazy sum.

I now await news on what they will pay.

pleadsom

Post by pleadsom » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:12 pm

Follow up to the above which may help some people's fears.

LR agreed to fund the entire £17,500 bill even with the car being now over 4 years old. All sorted via Hatfields in Liverpool who did a great job for me.