New Engine Needed after 2 years & 23k miles

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
fiske69

Post by fiske69 »

Yes the firm offer a 7 year , 100,000 mile warranty for £92.90 a month. They also do a servicing warranty for £27.29 a month ( that is a bargain as they state the second and forth services at some £400, with the big third one at £600 .) my local dealers is nearly £500 and £900 now, god knows what the price will be by 2027.
I’m keeping this car, I nearly 70 year old, my next car will be a hearse.
So think about the extended warranty, I asked my local dealer what would happen say if I had a gear failure in the gearbox, do you dismantle and repair it.
No it’s plug and play, new gearbox £6,000 plus.
Admittedly you could take the risk and save that amount each month but odds on any component failure would swallow up any of the money saved.
It’s a gamble, I talked to a guy with a three year old Range Rover sport he getting shut of it because every time it went back to the dealer they wanted £1K off him before they gave him his car.
It’s a gamble based on how long you intend to keep the car. If your part exchange for a new one I believe any monies saved in that fiscal year you get back ,assuming no claim or service made/ done.
Talk to the local dealer he will have all the info

fergusmo

Post by fergusmo »

My 2017 D5 2.0D has been losing power.... took it to the dealer today and have been told that it needs a new engine. The car has been driven 25K miles & serviced on time by the main dealer, wtf?!?

The dealer is going to speak to LR but told me to expect, at best a 40% discount from the bill.

I'm keen to get ahead of this. Is there someone at LR UK who others with this problem have dealt with and has been helpful?

All help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Sorry to hear of your predicament. Unfortunately all too common with the 2 litre. However I have heard through other web sites that LR have covered 100% of the cost. Even when out of warranty. 4/5 year old low mileage engines should not be failing. Check other disco5 websites and fb group.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
JonnyBenn

Post by JonnyBenn »

I just read Craig P reply.
I had a critical oil failure with about 1-2miles of warning before it just stopped!

No oil warning light even though the car will let me with 1500 mile that I need AdBlue??

Disco 5 2.0 33k miles 17 plate

Last service not main dealer but a very reputable guy who has serviced my cars for 15 years!

Apparently I need a new engine!! WTF!

Any tips on the best plan of action as the car is now at a main dealer but they are very slow with communication.

Can they expect me to pay for this engine?
JonnyBenn

Post by JonnyBenn »

fergusmo wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:02 pm My 2017 D5 2.0D has been losing power.... took it to the dealer today and have been told that it needs a new engine. The car has been driven 25K miles & serviced on time by the main dealer, wtf?!?

The dealer is going to speak to LR but told me to expect, at best a 40% discount from the bill.

I'm keen to get ahead of this. Is there someone at LR UK who others with this problem have dealt with and has been helpful?

All help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dear JonnyBenn

I had the results of the tests come back yesterday afternoon from my technician and I am in the process of pricing up a new replacement engine for you. I will come back to you later on today with this information.

The compression test results have come back with significantly low pressure in cylinder number one which is registering only 40 PSI compared to other cylinders registering between 75 PSI and 90 PSI.

Just so you are aware, I have raised a case for you with JLR to seek some assistance with the repair costs due to the age and mileage of your vehicle being so low. I raised this case yesterday and the brand advises to allow up to 48 working hours for a response, so I will feed this back to you once I have the information.
CCB

Post by CCB »

Following as have a 2017 Discovery 5 that bought from new from main dealer. It suddenly lost all power with no warning light no nothing. Less than average mileage for its age, FSH with main dealer. After 2 weeks in garage of not knowing what was wrong, called yesterday to say neds new engine as one of cylinders lost compression. Last week they said they had to put 3 litres of oil in...all sounds odd to me given age and fact that car fully looked after....
Any update on your position welcome!
Dorsetgirl

Post by Dorsetgirl »

This is all bad reading!

I bought my 2.0l 18 plate Disco 18 months ago (36k miles and newly serviced )
3 months later complete engine failure, new engine under manufacturer warranty. Another 4 months turbo hose issue and gear box replaced. 1 year on from purchase telematics broken and replaced 3 months later (march 22).
I purchased the JLR extended warranty in Dec 21 to be safe and last week engine died again, just bee told complete engine failure again!

Warranty have refused claim as they say I am 2000miles beyond my service due mileage. However the Landrover app says it is not due for 1900 miles, I had no service light in the car and no contact from Helston dealership.

So I get no courtesy car and potentially a very large bill. They have appealed to the warranty due to the app issue and also the oil wasn’t diluted. I was also told a JLR know it is an ‘inherent fault’ they may help as gesture of goodwill.

I just cannot believe in 18 months, 4 issues and 2 of which are failed engines
Now my warranty has been invalidated by their crappy error presumably for not resetting the service intervals right.

Any advice, I really don’t think I should pay anything toward this! Tbh as soon as it is fixed I will get rid - but lost all confidence with Land Rovers
Scottnweeze

Post by Scottnweeze »

Reviving this thread, bad reading indeed. 2020 Disco 5 with 25K miles (40,000km), however everything I read seems to be related to the 2.0 TD engine. I've got the supercharged petrol 3.0l. and it's toast. Still under warranty so JLR is footing the bill and I've got a great dealer (I'm in Colorado, USA) who has given me a loaner for the duration (probably three months all in). Feeling lucky as compared to some, however this is an issue that not only continues, but appears to be spreading to new powertrains!!
Katie888

Post by Katie888 »

Exact thing has happened to me, 2017 2L. No problems, 60k on the clock, LR serviced. Driving on the M25 I got the critically low engine oil light then the battery light then dead .. had it towed to the LR garage and apparently it likely needs a full new engine, at a cost of around £15k. Surely not .. it’s 5yrs old and is a well respected family wagon. Really hoping that although denying all knowledge of this ever happening beafore, clearly it has, that JLR contribute to repair?! I’m gutted 😭 has anyone had a positive resolution to their EXACT same issue?!
Edo

Post by Edo »

I bought my new Discovery 5 in 2017. First engine failed at 33.000 miles, second engine has just failed after a further 20.000 miles. Fortunately the extended warranty paid for the first engine and I am expecting them to pay for this replacement. SD4 engines at 240 bhp are not fit for purpose. Does anyone know if there is a Court case against JLR?