Disco 5 battery charging.

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
LesGAllen

Post by LesGAllen »

Hi, unusually my car is not getting very much use currently.
Can I use the two battery/power posts under under the bonnet as suitable charging points for the external charger?
Thanks in anticipation.
Les

Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Hi Les
Copied this from another site. Obviously others having the same problems.

globalsteabout 11 hours ago

I use the NOCO genius 5, available at Halfords and arrives about 3 days later. Trade price is £52. 

I just connected it to the battery terminals under the bonnet and it charged it up fine. This was after a recommendation on the RRS forums from a technician. 

You will need an AGM battery charger, so think CTEK, Optimate, Noco etc. not your jobby £15 charger sat in the shed from 2005. 

I highly recommend the NOCO Genius because it is tiny and has really long leads and so it easily allows the bonnet to be closed with the charger inside
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
TowDisco

Post by TowDisco »

By the battery terminals I assume you mean the booster posts. This is where I am connecting my Noco and it seems to do the trick. I would like to have a more permanent connection to the battery itself, but it seems to have a battery monitoring system on the positive, which complicates where to connect the charger.
TowDisco

Post by TowDisco »

I've just tested the 13 pin towing socket and discovered that it has a permanent 12V supply on pin 9 with pin 13 being the earth. My plan is to wire the Noco up to a 13 pin socket and just plug it in when not using the vehicle. Anyone have any thoughts?
TowDisco

Post by TowDisco »

So far so good.

Battery optimiser 1.jpg