Valve caps that are impossible to remove!

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
Mukki3332

Post by Mukki3332 »

Anyone had this issue? All four valve caps will not unscrew. Land Rover sent one of their mobile units (actually the AA rebranded) out for another fault and the guy noticed the low tyre pressure warning on one tyre, tried to undo the cap to inflate it and could not do so, likewise all the other caps when he tried them.

Car said it needed a service anyway so took it to dealer who serviced it but they could not get valve caps off either.

The valve caps previously came off fine. They are the ones with Land Rover on the top, a Land Rover product, and were sent to me f.o.c. by Land Rover in March 17 after I had ordered the vehicle in Feb 17 and prior to delivery in May 17. I changed the standard valve caps over at delivery.

There s no evidence of anyone tampering with the car and it does not sit in an environment where it can be accessed so am mystified.

Telemarkskier

Post by Telemarkskier »

Put boiling water over the caps for a few seconds. They should then come off easily.
Davidls

Post by Davidls »

There’s another thread somewhere else I have seen about the free branded Landrover caps. They appear to regularly seize on and have caused a lot of people a lot of trouble. I kept mine in the presentation box for just that reason.
Dodlestonian

Post by Dodlestonian »

Are the caps aluminium?
If so avoid them!
I fitted fancy aluminium caps and they corroded onto the valves so bad the the guy wrecked all four valves trying to get them off.
New valves with pressure transmitters ain't cheap :(