Oil Dilution Issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
VeryDisco5

Post by VeryDisco5 »

I think it clears the air considerably in that this document should immediately dispel the ridiculous notion that "driving style" was ever the sole cause of the problems being experienced.

It looks as though JLR knew up to four years ago that some of its cars had an inherent proclivity for rapid oil dilution, shortened service intervals, DPF clogging & failure and EGR cooler and valve failure. Clearly the engineers did their best to resolve challenges caused by vehicle architectures and emissions hardware but it's equally clear that they failed on some vehicles (D8) while achieving only limited success on others (D7u).

Because of the engineering issues some significant limitations on vehicle usage became necessary: these should have been drawn to the attention of customers prior to sale. Failure to inform customers of usage limitations could constitute misrepresentation under sections 1 and 2 of the Misrepresentation Act 1967. Whether or not the sales people involved had access to the full facts is immaterial for recission - and damages could also be awarded, even in the absence of a deliberate misrepresentation.

See the Act for more information.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1967/7

Nicknack

Post by Nicknack »

Hello all new member here but been lucking for a few months..I own a discovery sport My 17 and it suffers fom the dreaded oil dilution. I'm looking to upgrade but wanted to find out if the MY19 and My20 disco 5s suffer from oil dilution as well? Can any of the owners reliably confirm?
JamieG

Post by JamieG »

Very late reply but information anyhow.

Yes - they all will until the change the orientation of the engine mounting, which they can't - so all of them will have the issue unless im mistaken - I got mine refunded after getting ripped off 33p per mile driven and purchased a petrol version from a different retailer.

If you have a read of the doc's in this thread it's about the pipe from the engine to the DPF being too long and therefore the DPF is unable to burn off the soot due to the exhaust gases being too cold by the time they get there so they dump oil into the engine combustion chamber with the fuel to increase the engine temp, lots of short journeys and you'll be turning off your engine during a burn off cycle which won't be restarted but a new cycle will occur, same again over and over until you get to 12% from memory and the light comes on again....... LR should never have proceeded in this way - blame the customers driving style............