Oil Dilution Issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
VeryDisco5

Post by VeryDisco5 »

disco17 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:57 am Any other people suffering this issue ?
There are now hundreds of reports on the internet from owners of the Land Rover Discovery, Discovery Sport, Range Rover Sport and Evoque diesel models but these still represent only a fraction of the total population. It is a systematic design fault so the total number of affected cars could easily run into the tens of thousands. Popular forum threads are here for the Discovery 5 and Discovery Sport (2400 posts on this one alone). Most owners don't really understand the technicalities behind these early services and this allows JLR to shield the true nature and extent of the problem behind generic references to general DPF shortcomings, the introduction of EU6 emissions regulations and "driving style". JLR dealers and CRC invariably tell owners that their cars are "performing normally". Thousands of copies of JLRP00100 are now circulating but, unless they slip up and allow a group legal challenge to gain traction, the problem looks to have been contained by the provision of "goodwill" oil changes. Be aware, though, that the automatic provision of free oil changes will probably cease at the end of the warranty period, according to an email sent recently to two different DS owners.
Anyone successfully rejected the vehicle and had a replacement on this basis ?
Many Discovery Sports and Evoques have been rejected but there's no known report of a successful D5 rejection.

In a nutshell the problem on the DS and Evoque is one of insufficient heat in the DPF caused by too much pipework between the engine and the canister that houses it. This is what is meant by "hardware and architecture" in the text of the SCN and the known facts make it virtually impossible to rebut a strong and determined assertion that this hardware architecture doesn't work properly. An owner with a measure of technical knowledge should therefore find it easy to construct a rejection argument on the basis that the car is "not of satisfactory quality" and "not as described" under ss9 and 11of the CRA 2015.

For the 3.0L TDV6 Discovery there isn't, as yet, the same level of confidence about the root cause, mainly because no-one has researched it in sufficient detail or produced a robust theory as to the cause which could be independently verified. In the case of the 2.0L Discovery Sport (this applies equally to the Evoque because it shares the engine and the floor pan) DEKRA were asked to comment on the too-cold hypothesis and they agreed that it was indeed the distance between the engine and the DPF and the total reliance on "active regeneration" using post injection that was to blame. Then, in what might be considered a landmark PR cock-up, JLR wrote to me on 24th October 2017 admitting openly that normal driving didn't get the exhaust hot enough for passive regeneration to work, hence the need for additional active regeneration. Subsequently Honest John started to link DEKRA's findings with the fact that these cars all shared the D8 floor pan from the Freelander and began re-stating confidently that this is a design issue that can't be fixed.

Logic suggests that the Discovery 5's problem is linked somehow to that of the Discovery Sport and Evoque because it is described in the same breath in JLRP00100 as being attributable to "hardware and architecture" differences causing longer and more frequent periods of post injection during active regeneration. But anyone currently wishing to reject on the basis of "not of satisfactory quality" would probably struggle to prove that it's a design issue until it can be shown, at least "on the balance of probabilities", that this is the case. There's always "not as described" but unfortunately there's no reference to 16,000 miles in any of the marketing materials and, worse, the handbook actually does say that the service period can be reduced depending on driving style. Good luck if you are affected with this.

David G

Post by David G »

Hi does this issue affect the 2.0 L engine as well?
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

The answer to above is No. Not the 2litre configuration fitted in the Discovery 5. However the 2l disco sport is another issue.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
David G

Post by David G »

Thank you. They are still expensive on the used market though. I might have to wait a bit. How do they compare to the velar and rr sport
Arm

Post by Arm »

just been hit with this one....done 5900k and 7 months old to be told that despite the software update the oil is contaminated with diesel and its going to cost me £300 doe an oil change and DPF change-out.

Contacted LR service department to be told basically "Tuff" were not standing this cost.

not a happy bunnyy
David G

Post by David G »

I think o should.keep steering away though i love the car and im very tempted. I looled at the f pace but the feel is more of a car
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Arm wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:15 am just been hit with this one....done 5900k and 7 months old to be told that despite the software update the oil is contaminated with diesel and its going to cost me £300 doe an oil change and DPF change-out.

Contacted LR service department to be told basically "Tuff" were not standing this cost.

not a happy bunnyy
Complain, you should be getting a free interim oil change
Wills0906

Post by Wills0906 »

Hi All, I know this issue has been and is discussed at length but just wanted to run a few things past everyone to try and make an informed decision!

I have put a deposit down on a MY17 First Edition 3L TDV6 (20k on the clock). I have a D4 today, so I am aware of the niggles of LR but I still love them and have had my eye on the D5 since it came out...

However, reading on the oil dilution topic, I've got slightly worried.

I do around 12k minimum per year, a 300 mile trip once a month (80% motorway) and a good 3 to 4 x 30 mile trips per week (50% motorway) the rest is nipping 5 miles up the road. I don't expect huge mileage totals between services but do you think this driving style would warrant the 3k intervals people are talking about?

The D5 is from the LR dealership, and having reviewed the service history it has been done around every 9k so doesn't appear to have been an issue with previous owner, however would.any interim oil change be recorded on the service book??

Any thoughts would be really appreciated, I am meant to be collecting on Friday, and really excited but this has put a slight dark cloud over it...

Thanks in advance.
Steff.
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Just make sure the latest updates have been applied and you will have no problem. There is a fix for it ( software ) and I now get the 16,000 per annum between services.
Wills0906

Post by Wills0906 »

Thanks Jimbg! That's more reassuring. Did you have the issue before?