Oil Dilution Issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
sanjivsai

Post by sanjivsai »

Hi All,
I have a Disco 5, which has now had to be taken to the local dealership twice for an oil change, having done only 4500 miles.
On both occasions, I have been told that it was due to oil dilution and the way I drive - more town driving?
Has anyone come across the same thing?
Is my dealership having me on?

Regards
Sanjiv

rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Hi Sanjiv

this is a very well known issue and requires a software update. Sounds like the garage is taking you for a ride!

See this link https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread732.html

Hopefully this will help you claim back any money you have paid for this un-needed work
sanjivsai

Post by sanjivsai »

Hi Rogersmj,
Software was updated in February.
I have been told that the oil needed to be changed again and a reset done .
I have not had to pay for any works carried out and now been assured that the issue should not occur again.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Yes known issue as previously posted. Im not sure a software update is the answer. Appears to be a design fault. So not easily rectified if at all.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
sanjivsai

Post by sanjivsai »

Hi Craigp,
I have seen a document from JLR which suggests that software update to system and oil change, should rectify this known issue.
Hopefully mine will now be resolved, otherwise I will take it up with Landrover HQ.
At least I have not been charged for the works carried out.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

I do hope so, i have seen quite alot of conflicting reports. I had mine in for a oil change at around 5k miles, initially they said after testing the oil i would have to pay for the oil change as the oil was confirmed as dirty. After throwing a strope they agreed to change for free as a good will gesture. So not sure what a software update is going to do to stop the oil dilution Problem. But i live in hope.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
sanjivsai

Post by sanjivsai »

Hi Craigp,
I understand that the car has new technology and in unfortunately, we are the guinea pigs for this.
Even so, when one spends the sort of money we have, these things should not really happen.
Let’s hope this oil service light does not come on again.
AdeMartin1970

Post by AdeMartin1970 »

Same issues here. Had 1st oil dilution at 8000 miles so they completed an 'early service in february. After 1800miles the service indicator has come on again and the Dealer is telling me that it is probably oil dilution again and its my 'driving style'. 1800 miles!! and 1500 of which has been motorways and average speeds, nothing stenuous. Easy to prove with the App as well. See what arguments I have when it goes in next Friday.
Seems they try and head you off with the driving style thing upfront.
sanjivsai

Post by sanjivsai »

Hi AdeMartin,

Ask your dealership to check the "Jaguar Land Rover document JLRP00100" dated 07/17, Subject: Service Indicator Message and Oil Dilution.
This points to a software update and Service Message Reset and Early Oil Change.
David G

Post by David G »

Hi
I wasvthinking of getting the Discivery sport but due to the oil dilution issue and the B-pillar rattle issue I decided against it.
Now I am considerung the Discovery. Do they have the same issues or others?
In Malta we do a lot of short distances and not many motorways.
Thamks for any help or feedback.
David