Stolen spare wheel

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

I'm sure you may be aware that the spare on your Discovery 5 is not secure. I noticed mine was missing last week and after close investigation it looks like the cable has been cut and wheel & winch gone. So this long standing problem with Discos and Range Rovers is not resolved. There is a modification ("recall"/"campaign") that improves the security - Campaign N071 - Loss of spare wheel. This is recommended for all D5's "at the earliest Opportunity". Unfortunately this is too late for mine and the approximate cost of replacing the lot is £1500 from a dealer. Other forums are a bit sceptical on the effectiveness of the modification and my dealer advised that "if a thief is determined enough, he will steal it". It would be interesting to hear more views as mine goes in for wheel replacement & security modification next week.

First Edition 3L D - Orange/Black (Ginger according to my son) - Acquired April 2017

Craigp

Post by Craigp »

I bought a security device for mine made by RLD. Its basically a steel plate that covers everything. Im waiting for mine to be done by LR but i understand its still not as good as the plate. If you would like a link let me know.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

Thanks Craig. I did see these products discussed on another forum. Just beware, there was a comment that a dealer had removed a non-LR security product when carrying out the LR fix and deliberately did not put it back - presumably because it interfered or was not approved.
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

More likely lazy!
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Thanks Andy. I had seen where the dealer had refitted one after the mod which is good as i now know they fit.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
Davidls

Post by Davidls »

Hi,
I have a D5 MY18 and from TOPix see that the N071v3 is still an Outstanding Campaign for my vehicle. The sales manager says he spoke to the technician that did the work and that they completed the job but haven’t updated the system yet. Having looked underneath there appears to be the wheel and the 3”-4” long metal shaft which is about 1” diameter and no plate or anything there. Does anyone know what the LR ‘fix’ looks like?
5imon

Post by 5imon »

You should see a black circular metal plate inside the spare wheel the same diameter as the inside of the wheel.
Davidls

Post by Davidls »

Thanks for your reply, there is no plate there at all and after speaking with someone in service today they appear to be having conflicting conversations internally as one says it’s done and another says it’s not. I am awaiting written confirmation from LR that’s it’s fitted, but I expect after sending them pictures this won’t be forthcoming as it clearly isn’t done.
It’s going in on the 9th for some paintwork as it was scratched at handover and I hope they find the time to fit the part as it’s not scheduled to go back to the dealership for other issues until 21st.
Deleted User 523

Post by Deleted User 523 »

Here's a photo of the spare wheel security device, I believe JLR has tried to improve security but it's not as good as this simple device.

IMG_0487.PNG

The attachment IMG_0487.PNG is no longer available
The attachment IMG_0488.PNG is no longer available
Deleted User 523

Post by Deleted User 523 »

IMG_0485.PNG

Second photo