door lock cover

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
spring1

Post by spring1 »

the cover does not seem to be securely attached by the lugs. every time i visit the hand car wash i find the pressure of a jet wash hose is enough to send it spinning off. this makes me think that it could become detached during normal driving or be removed by someone who was trying to access the actual locking mechanism. anyone else experienced this yet ?

jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Read the post a few down!! Worth searching before you post. :D
spring1

Post by spring1 »

must have been yet another senior moment. thanks anyway. its clearly some type of design fault so i will return it to LR and see what they suggest.
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Hi spring1, yeah been there....

My dealership replaced them FOC, which included new ones that were sprayed. The new ones fit much better and don't move at all.
spring1

Post by spring1 »

the FOC replacement is good to know and hopefully the guys at lancaster tonbridge will step up. many thanks.
spring1

Post by spring1 »

Hi rogersmj

My dealer is proving rather reticent in dealing with this issue under warranty - no surprise there then ! Would you be able to provide me the name of your dealer so I can use that as a precedent ?
cwch60

Post by cwch60 »

Having had my car since March last year and never having touched the cover, I have been sitting smugly watching this thread, thinking "My lock cover's fine". Today, whilst sitting in a coastal pub in Merseyside with the car parked outside, the wind caught it and took it away. Luckily, I found it again and will be looking into making sure that it can't happen again.
spring1

Post by spring1 »

sorry cwch60 but i couldn't help but laugh at your story. especially given that my dealers initial response was that it was all my fault because i shouldn't have let my poor little discovery be subjected to anything as beastly as a jet wash !! i told them I thought that having paid in excess of £60 grand for a car that goes "above and beyond" it should be possible to actually wash it occasionally without bits falling off. they now say they would like to inspect the vehicle - presumably so they can find another excuse for not accepting that this is all a pathetic design fault.
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Hi spring1,

no problem, my dealership is Harwoods in Basingstoke - 01256 630518.

When the door cover fell off I called them first for a price, found out that it would be somewhere in the region of £45 including the painting of the cover, so argued that this was a part that hadn't been reglected by me, hadn't been changed by me and hadn't been subject to any kind of abuse. It fell off due to the fact that it isn't made correctly. Had to wait a day before the dealership agreed with me, they ordered two new ones, painted them and put them on free of charge. Must admit I was initially thinking about putting a few small dabs of superglue on the new ones to make sure they didn't fall off, but the new ones are much tighter, so didn't bother.
spring1

Post by spring1 »

Update on door lock cover fiasco. went into Lancaster Tonbridge today. It took them all of 15 seconds to agree that both covers were unacceptably loose. Will be dealt with under warranty FOC. apparently about 90 minutes to fit.