InControl Remote - Does yours work?

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5

Have you seen InControl Remote issues with your new Discovery?

No - it works 100% of the time, every time.
26%
Yes - It works some of the time, but is unreliable.
58%
Yes - It never works.
16%

Total votes: 19

jimbg

Post by jimbg »

I have not bothered with Apps since my first experiments with it and to be fair apart from Spotify ( which I do not use ) I cannot see the point of such a complication when you are driving.

The Remote works well, apart from the folding seats option. It works if the car is "awake" but mine seems to go to sleep very quickly! :D :roll:

Bradpr

Post by Bradpr »

GeeBee - Can you put me in touch with someone either at a dealer or, preferably, at JLR who can expand on the root cause you're referencing? My dealer has had my D5 for 45 days, and says neither they nor the JLR TA team have any clue what's going on with mine. I've started the process to have JLR buy mine back over this. If they cannot get it together enough to make an app work, how am I to feel comfortable that they can fix a software problem that keeps my car from running properly or creates a safety issue. It drives me crazy that they've had my car for over a month, while I've only owned it for 3 months, and they are no closer to fixing it than they were the first day I brought it in. Beyond that, they refuse to acknowledge it as a wide-impact issue and pretend that it is just something wrong with mine. I took the car back after 45 days, telling my dealer to figure it out and then call me to bring it back in. They had the nerve to tell me that, unless I leave it with them, they won't try to fix it. If they know this is an iOS/Apple/Google problem, they need to come clean and quit trying to blame it on me!
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Crikey!! Why leave it there if the only issue is the app? Just enjoy the car and live with the app until it is fixed.
How important is it to raise and lower the seats remotely, I find it annoying that it is flaky but I am not allowing it to stop me enjoying the car.

Each to their own I guess, but is the app the only problem you have with the car?
Bradpr

Post by Bradpr »

Jimbg - I hear you, but the remote start/lock/unlock features are what I'm on about, not the seat controls. Those are very important to me and had significant weight in my purchasing decision. My dealer and JLR have both been duplicitous through this ordeal. They each have attempted to stall and dodge me over this. Neither has acknowledged this as a quality issue, and both have maintained that I am the only customer with this problem. I'm sure they have their reasons, but I find it insulting. I'm attempting to compile enough similar stories from other customers and looking for other JLR/dealer representatives who are willing to be honest. I paid a lot for this car. My dealer refused to compromise at all with me on price. Why should I compromise a key purchasing factor? An added benefit is my dealer is at least keeping me in some nice loaners while my D5 collects dust in their shop.
Ian c

Post by Ian c »

Hi i could not agree more think its a pointless waste as no idea what its there for except to annoy you only thing i want is traffic update on the sat nav but as 3g no longer works you cant gey live updates £100 tom tom leaps and bounds more worthwhile which i have purchased as cant cope sitting in traffic jams because disco has no idea whats going on .
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Bradpr - Do these functions work in the loaner? My remote lock and Climate work OK. Initially Climate was a bit iffy and I thought it might have been because I live in a rural area and the car was getting a poor 3G signal.

However somewhere along the way, it started working OK. I have kept the app up to date as there have been several updates and my car has the very latest software that is available.
Bradpr

Post by Bradpr »

My dealer will not allow me to test with the loaners. They claim that it is too difficult to activate the telematics systems in the loaners and then re-associate them after they sell the loaner.

My D5 has the latest software, along with a new telematics system. I also have the latest software on my phones & tablets. I see spurts where the remote stuff works, for a stretch of time, but then it inexplicably stops. It feels like they are making some sort of changes on the cloud side of the application because no other parts of the equation change, yet the system works for a brief time.
sanjivsai

Post by sanjivsai »

Mine has issues. It would be great if the vehicle Security would allow you to close the Windows and Sunroof from the InControl Remote App.
It would also be great if the Landrover Control Apps worked properly with Apple.
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

I use an iPhone now and it is better than the Android version. Still can have minor problems though.

The seat folding has never really worked properly
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Fortunately my HSE doesn't have the seating control in the remote, so I don't have to worry about that part.

Apart from the 'funny' issues I had with the Remote inControl app when it was cold last week (the cars stopped twice after 10 seconds when I placed my iPhone X into my pocket), i've not had any issues with it. Having said that I do have a very good 3G signal here in my village, and a very good 4G signal for my phone.

As far as the Remote App is concerned, I agree with jimbg, its more hassle than its worth and it doesn't really bring anything better to the table than what you already have. I've used it once or twice, just to see if there were any new apps that would make my life easier, but alas not.