Deployable Towbar snapped off

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
beamifrend

Deployable Towbar snapped off

Post by beamifrend » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:32 am

Picked up my caravan from storage yesterday. Deployed depolyable towbar, connected caravan and set off. Noticed straight away that the revs were jumping and it felt like the brakes were being deployed to counter swaying, though there was none. 2 miles down the road I slowed at a junction and heard a loud clunk. When I pulled away there was a short delay before the van was yanked along. When I pulled over I found that the towbar was hanging loose with the van attached. Had to go and get another car to tow the van home. Land Rover service came round this morning to tell me it has sheared off inside the deployment mechanism. Waiting to see if I can get a loan vehicle at the moment as we're meant to be heading off on holiday this morning. I'm just thankful it didn't happen on the motorway as the caravan may well have flipped over.
Discovery HSE Luxury TD6 Firenze Red

Craigp

Re: Deployable Towbar snapped off

Post by Craigp » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:42 pm

That's very worrying to say the least. Please keep us informed if any feed back.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.

beamifrend

Post by beamifrend » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:13 pm

Fair play to the JLR Service Team. Got a call 30 minutes after the service engineer had been round to let me know a courtesy vehicle with tow bar was waiting for me at Guy Salmon Land Rover in Stratford on Avon. Left the Discovery with them and set off on holiday in a Vogue SE. Less than 20 hours passed from the fault occuring on Sunday afternoon to me being sorted out with the Vogue. I still have the Vogue and hope to collect the Disco soon (not too soon though!). Apparently the fault I experienced was due to the towbar not fully locking in place. First time they have seen this, apparently.

beamifrend

Post by beamifrend » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:24 pm

One thing i'd like to add, after driving the Vogue for a week - I prefer the Disco overall. The interior of the Discovery HSE Lux beats the Vogue SE for me. Better storage compartments, comfier headrests, better second row facilities and more boot space. Both have the same TD6 which feels identical in performance. The only area I feel the Vogue outperforms the Disco is in the ride. The Vogue feels a bit less 'floaty', I think due to better stability control. I believe the SVX has the same stability control?

Craigp

Post by Craigp » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:24 am

Thanks for that. Was you aware it wasn't locking in place, what I mean is did everything appear ok? Did it rattle when deployed or tow badly etc.

beamifrend

Post by beamifrend » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:59 am

It felt ok when I hooked the caravan up and went through the towing assist procedure. Once I got out onto the road it felt a bit weird but it wasn't until I stopped at the junction and heard the clunk that I knew something was up.

Craigp

Post by Craigp » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:24 am

Thanks for that I'm not aware of mine going "Clunk" so all well.

stign

Post by stign » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:11 am

Same experience yesterday. Towbar snapped of with Caravan attached. Towbar was lock and ok before attatching the Caravan. Snapp of happened during the short trip.
Will see what my dealer has to say.
Greetings
Stig

Discovery HSE Luxury TD6

Craigp

Post by Craigp » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:40 am

Now doubly worrying. I'm not aware that these tow bars are made specifically for the D5 and are used with other land rover vehicles.
Again please keep us in the loop.

Peterl

Post by Peterl » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:31 am

I have contacted my local dealer and it is said that it could be an issue if the tow bar has not fully deployed. Taking into account how quick it is to deploy a tow bar I do not see how a caravan can be hitched before this happens. Would the screen then still show tow bar deployed? Really sorry for those who have had a failure but could they confirm the tow bar was fully deployed.

Return to “Faults & Technical”