Engine or some other noise

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
arsi

Post by arsi »

I have an annoying noise coming from front of the car (TD6 HSE). It has come louder during time and can be heard over wind and other noises.
It is like muffled sound of someone drumming plastic can with fingers, kind of low pitch non rythmic vibration.

I first thought it is tyre noise (i have 275/45R21 Continentals) but after listening it now for 2000km, it probabaly is not.
Noise is not speed or engine revs nor road surface dependent, but it is not hearable when stationary. Noise starts when engine is warm and vehicle is moving. With cold engine noise is not hearable.

I have tried to cancel out some causes but have not found any clues yet. It is not caused by FBH, AC or any of the removable plastic parts inside engine bay.

Anyone on this forum have similar issues or any quesses of what it might be?

predictable123

Post by predictable123 »

Yes have had a noise. Took it to dealer. Left it with them for a week. Noise cleared but think quite a few things changed before it was sorted. Mine was audible at 1600 rpm. So. Take it to the dealer. Show him the noise. And don’t pick it up again until it’s gone.
arsi

Post by arsi »

Managed to record the noise that dealer was not able to fix at first visit.
Files can be downloaded here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsGLapz4uFjFjMJCkpKC-ZhRPMBavg
When I put microphone in the footwell it was able to pick up the noise. In other positions the noise was not picked up.

Anyone able to recognize the rythmical hollow noise in the files? Noise is not speed or engine rev dependent but
can be heard only when vehicle is moving. It can be heard even if I turn off engine and let car roll freely.