LED lights

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
Pvlkrs

Post by Pvlkrs »

Are you satisfied with your LED lights? Me, not, after driving long time Disco 4, Range Rover and couple of Audi A7 and A8, I have to say, theese are worse headlights I have since last 10 years. Everywhere some kind of shadow, or horizontal as well vertical lines. In night when is rain, on black tarmac you need to use fog lights otherwise you see very bad.[

IMG_1437.JPG

IMG_1436.JPG

JiiJii71

Post by JiiJii71 »

Do you have led-lights with adaptive functions?
phillavis

Post by phillavis »

Yes, I specified adaptive led-lights after driving a Disco 3 & 4 with adaptive headlights, I thought a would be a worthwhile option.

How wrong I was...I fail to notice any difference between adaptive and normal headlights. In fact I didn't think the option was fitted, so I requested LR to confirm.
Unfortunately, LR confirmed the option is fitted and operating correctly.

My advice is save a few hundred pounds and do not specify the option, you won't notice the difference!

Has anyone experience the same issues with adaptive Led Headlight?
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

I have the adaptive agree they don't do much. Having said that I have not drove one without it. Must admit the poster light pattern looks poor. My last D4 I didn't spec the xenon headlights now they were poor with the standard halogen. I've seen brighter candles. The D4 before that had the xenons excellent lights I don't think these are as good.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
nickthornton

Post by nickthornton »

We have adaptive LEDs on our Discovery and had to query their operation with the dealer too.

Land Rover's literature said they moved with the front wheels to light corners, which is what we found so useful on our D4 with adaptive xenons. It turns out, however, the literature is wrong and the 'adaptive' aspect adjusts the throw of light depending on road speed, context (motorways versus rural lanes, etc...) and weather conditions. Having had this explained, I can now see it working, but the D4's turning headlights were more useful on unlit rural roads.

By way of comparison, the pixel laser LED lights on the new Range Rover/Range Rover Sport are fantastic. On auto full beam, individual LEDs are extinguished and re-illuminated very rapidly to prevent other drivers being blinded. The lights also swivel in bends.