Oil change at 6800 miles

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
MrKeefe82

Post by MrKeefe82 »

Has anyone done 6800 miles or more and if so have you had to have an oil change yet? My service message came up saying a service was due in 1900miles. I was at 6500 miles at the time. At 680 miles it said service due in 1450 miles. I called Harwoods Pulborough and booked it in. They ran tests and said it needed an oil change which as it isn't a full service wasn't covered by the service pack. I argued that a car shouldn't need an oil change at 6800 miles and that I've had high performance cars that need oil changes less regularly. They said they see this on cars from time to time. Not a great explanation so I called LR who said it seemed very soon but was likely down to driving style. I'm not sure what that means as I am on motorways a lot and sit at cruising speed of around 70 with low revs.

Has anyone else had this issue yet?

Thanks

Ian c

Post by Ian c »

Hi I've done just over 4000 miles and the add blue or whatever it is you add has come on saying needs topping up in 1500 miles ?. My car is with stratstone landrover as there are many other issues build quality ECT ECT. They have given me a courtesy car which has similar miles on it also needs topping up. I've ask is this normal they said no but as 2 cars similar miles same warning seem bit strange.
MrKeefe82

Post by MrKeefe82 »

@Ian c see my last couple of posts under the AdBlue and Service Plan thread in this section. AdBlue and Oil Change are known issues and a software update has been released. The post also explains about some other issues they are aware about that are being fixed. Hopefully it will sort all your issues too.
MrKeefe82

Post by MrKeefe82 »

If Stratstone aren't aware of the fixes tell them to speak to the After Sales Manager at Guy Salmon Portsmouth. He was really helpful and knowledgeable.
kits80

Post by kits80 »

MrKeefe82 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:39 pm If Stratstone aren't aware of the fixes tell them to speak to the After Sales Manager at Guy Salmon Portsmouth. He was really helpful and knowledgeable.
I am 4850 miles and now saying it needs a service in 1600 miles. I've already had the adblue top-up about 3 weeks ago. I will contact the dealer and mention what you've said above. Thanks for the info
VeryDisco5

Post by VeryDisco5 »

MrKeefe82 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:45 am Has anyone done 6800 miles or more and if so have you had to have an oil change yet? My service message came up saying a service was due in 1900miles. I was at 6500 miles at the time. At 680 miles it said service due in 1450 miles. I called Harwoods Pulborough and booked it in. They ran tests and said it needed an oil change which as it isn't a full service wasn't covered by the service pack. I argued that a car shouldn't need an oil change at 6800 miles and that I've had high performance cars that need oil changes less regularly. They said they see this on cars from time to time. Not a great explanation so I called LR who said it seemed very soon but was likely down to driving style. I'm not sure what that means as I am on motorways a lot and sit at cruising speed of around 70 with low revs.

Has anyone else had this issue yet?

Thanks

If you have a 17MY D5 with the TDV6 engine your oil change could have been dealt with FOC under the terms of SCN JLRP00100. If you don't know what that is you should get up to speed immediately. https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/down ... hp?id=5997

Here are some useful links for everyone who hasn't yet been acquainted with the scale and impact of the Land Rover diesel dilution problem.

Discovery Sport Forum:

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/view ... f=8&t=5379

Evoque Forum:

http://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/forum ... 40031.html
http://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/forum ... 50802.html

All-New Discovery 5 Forum:

https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread732.html
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4137

The Range Rover Sport Forum:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic47287.html
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic42575.html

WIth DS and Evo registrations up to 01 June 2017 the brochure had made really bold claims about the service intervals of 21000 miles with no caveats - although the service interval was qualified with the "driving style" phrase in the OH. But then the brochures were replaced and the service claims vanished. The upshot (see the SCN) is that if you bought on the basis of the old brochure they will pay for the oil changes according to the flow-chart. But if you bought your car on or after 1st June - same car, same problem, just a different marketing claim - then it becomes a case of caveat emptor and the owner will be responsible for the oil change. What does "driving style" mean? Well, it would need testing in court but given the typical kind of mileages being reported (cars achieving between 1/3 and 1/2 of the expected mileage), this has got to be pushing the bounds of credibility. The difficulty might be that the D5 is included in the list of affected vehicles in bullet 2 at the bottom of page 2/9 but isn't included in bullet 5. But surely most people would consider it rather cavalier to say to someone expecting a 16,000 miles service interval, "Well, technically we didn't guarantee the service interval and we did point out before you bought the car that it might need more frequent servicing with certain driving styles. Well, yes, of course 5,500 is a lot different to 16,000 miles but I guess that's driving styles for you. That'll be three hundred and forty pounds, please. Would you like it washed?". But until someone becomes angry enough to claim the cost of an oil change in the small claims court it might come down to the attitude of the individual dealer. The good news is that there is a precedent for getting JLR to pay, see the Adblue thread.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Thanks Verydisco5 i will file that away in case i need it.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
phillavis

Post by phillavis »

Just had my second oil change at 8000 miles on my 2018 Disco 5 TD6.
According to the LR dealer this is supposedly due to my driving style and advised I should drive at least 60 miles a week on the motorway. However, did not suggest at what speed.

Has anyone else received similar advice?
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Makes no difference!

I drove 2,000 miles on a round trip through France, all motorway apart from short sections each day to get to a hotel.

distance to next service still fell dramatically.
mordred1973

Post by mordred1973 »

I am glad my Volvo just has a set 18000 mile 12 months service and nothing automated to argue otherwise! It's done 94000 miles in the last 5.5 years a mix of maybe 6 short journeys a day (under 10 miles each) then a longer trip at weekends etc. It's never shown a DPF issue nor additional servicing. I was considering swapping to a Discovery as always fancied one and seen a nice 2017 TD6 HSE luxury with 9000 miles on, but think reading this has put me off as I was content with my one trip a year to the dealer for a service.