Climate Control (no software) issues

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
JBay

Post by JBay »

First time user and Discovery owner. Had two RR's before and thought the 2017 Discovery would be a great car to own.

First, the car is really nice and drives well. Haven't driven it off road, but looking forward to it. However, there is a SERIOUS problem with either the climate control system or the overall design of the HVAC system in the car. The one I have is a 3 zone. I live in a severe high and low temperature area (high's in 100's, low's in 10's) and this auto climate simply does not work for this big of a car. In the heat, I have to leave the auto to "lo" the entire time except if I want the fan speed to decrease a little, then I switch it to 59. And there is no way the car is 59 degrees inside. Especially, in the second or third row. Also, was playing with the 3rd zone and this simply doesn't work at all. No air comes out the side vents and heat will come out the floor and push the fan speed in the two front vents to high in cold. Brand new car in the shop for the second week since getting it (only 2 weeks ago).

The service manager compared my car to another new one they had come in and it works the same way.

Is anyone else seeing this major issue? I drove the Discovery Sport and the climate control works wonderful and as it is supposed to.

This is completely unacceptable. The car will never be comfortable on the inside if this continues and will render the car useless.

Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Hi I'm in the UK and at the moment we are having high temperatures 30degc. I have the SE so the system is different to yours but i also feel that the A/C is struggling to cope. In fact when we had mid 20s the other week I thought it wasn't cooling the car down as well as my D4. I posted my doubts on another forum just today. All the comments have been positive. But I'm with you.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Hi baby this from another forum may help you but I don't have this.

wingerabout 7 hours ago

Have you checked the Climate fan settings? I found "Soft" didn't do enough today at 31C, so moved up to "Balanced". Made a big difference
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

That should be jbay not baby. Damm you predictive text 😁😁😁
JBay

Post by JBay »

Yes. I moved to setting to powerful. It did help a little, but still the same problem. The auto climate is not accurately setting the temperature in the car at all. If I set the sport version to 70 degrees, not only does it cool the whole car to 70, but I need to increase the auto temperature to 75 because the inside gets too cold. A MB I have works the same and so did the two previous range rovers I had. This is the first expensive car that the climate control simply doesn't work. In addition, the 3rd zone is a complete mess and nothing comes out the side vents no matter what I put the temperature to.

The service manager just called me saying my car will be ready and nothing is wrong with it because all the new ones are the same. So, I will now need to contact Corp and possibly file a class action suit against them because I carry passengers and my dog in the back and this car will not properly cool down the car for anyone to survive.

On another note: my experience with all land Rover dealerships has been very poor. So I am not surprised they won't help....

It's 117 outside today and I am afraid to get my car back tomorrow....
JBay

Post by JBay »

Oh. And by the way, I had to explain to the service manager about the powerful setting (which always defaults back to balanced). He didn't even know about that setting (which doesn't help)....
JBay

Post by JBay »

And I checked the other forum topic. That had to do with an error. I am not getting errors.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

No this is the one I'm referring too
https://disco5.co.uk/forum/post6320.html#6320
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

I've copied your reply onto my thread on the other board. Hope that's ok.
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Title
SSM73527 - Poor Air Conditioning (A/C) Performance
Global reference
SSM73527
Navigation path
Bulletins Special Service Messages Electrical
Publication date
18-Aug-2017 14:05:33