Auto opening tailgate

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
RAC-17

Post by RAC-17 »

Hi all, I've got a 2 litre HSE and have an issue where the tailgate opens at random times and does not seem to have a sensor that stops it from hitting whatever is behind it. Luckily it hasn't hit anything yet but I'd like to disable it from the drivers seat so that it doesn't happen.

Does anyone know how it gets activated accidentally (from the drivers seat) and how to switch that off please?

Thanks all

richl812

Post by richl812 »

we cannot get it to work on gesture and spend ages looking idiots but let the cat walk underneath it or rubbish blow and open sesame!
Lee Jackson

Post by Lee Jackson »

rich watch the youtube video. What I am told most people wave their foot under the back of the car. The sense is actually at the side of the boot. I am still waiting on my d5 but that is what I know from reading on the forums
RAC-17

Post by RAC-17 »

Solved! My wife sits very close to the wheel and her knee was right beside the button for the tailgate. At least we know now....
OzNemesis

Post by OzNemesis »

I have found the simplest way to activate the tailgate every time is, with they key on your person, tap the muffler with your toe while standing beside the back end of the car. Works every time. You don't actually have to kick it, just go close.
Mad Jack

Post by Mad Jack »

Mine has worked once in 6 months. Given upon it now!
Ian c

Post by Ian c »

Hi there is a definite knack to using the tailgate I've found that a rapid kick motion near the side sensor usually works but still bit tempromental. YouTube has video demonstrated

Hope this helps
pieterdw

Post by pieterdw »

Hello, our D5 has a habit of fairly regular uncommanded tailgate closing when we're loading/unloading, dealer enquiries suggests it might be something around the sensor (dogs, something blown past by the wind, etc) that starts the closing process...

As we're not overly stuck on this function, can it be disabled?
Smof

Post by Smof »

I have a 3 litre HSE and the tailgate both opens and closes on its own and been smacked on the head and face when hitching up to the detachable towball. Even opens when your washing the car. Pain into the Jacksie.
davidjanstyles

Post by davidjanstyles »

My Discovery 5 has constant tailgate problems.
Gesture opening just makes you look stupid but I want it to work as I frequently carry goods to put in boot.
The worst fault is the intermittent tailgate closing.My daughter and my self both hit on the head.If you are placing something inside boot i intermittently closes on you.Try to get out the way you risk being struck by the sharp boot lid corners...could take out an eye....I now lean forward into the boot and take the impact on my back.
It also will open of its own accord.My dog could easily escape into traffic. Thieves would be delighted at such an easy entry.
If there are two of us one holds the tailgate in the open position to avoid injury.
Been to main agents three times but no cure.Going again next week for three days. From the number of owners suffering from these faults Land Rover should have a fix by now. This is an expensive car It should function properly.I intend to go all the way with Land Rover if they cannot fix the problem.The car is dangerous.