Vibration between 80-110 kph / 50-70 mph

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
RMG

Post by RMG »

I have a 2018 DICOVERY COMMERCIAL 25,000 miles on clock that today started vibrating at between 50 and 70 mph. At first I thought it was the tarmac but it continued the rest of the day on known smooth stretches. The steering wheel does not vibrate . And there is no vibration while accelerating. Only when you settle to constant speed. Rear tyres are new.. And brakes were checked in August. I will hopefully get into a mechanic next week.

DRW

Post by DRW »

I have a similar issue with my Disco 2l HSE Lux, if you are driving in top gear at bet 1000 and 1500 RPM there is a definite roughness there, after about 1500 rpm it disappears, the easiest way I can describe, if you were in a manual car and in too higher gear, the engine is labouring, i kn ow you can t have the same with an auto, but that is the closest way that i can describe what it feels like, it seems rpm related as you can get this in lower gears bet 1000 and 1500 rpm.
Come on D5 owners there must be one vehicle that has suffered this issue and the dealer has rectified ??

DRW
RMG

Post by RMG »

I have 20 or even 21 inch wheels. Mud and small stones had collected on the large rims of the back wheels - behind the wheel spokes there must be 20cm of flat steel - to a depth of several millimetres. The garage simply power hosed through the spokes and washed this mud away and the vibrations stopped! It was a "wheel balancing" issue.
DRW

Post by DRW »

Hello

The Discovery 5 HSE Lux is more money than a RR Sport, so for a Dealer to use the excuse they all do that is not what you want to hear after parting with some £75,000 ??
I can't believe JLR has so called engineers that drive these vehicles and do not pick up on the issues ?

DRW
JRRushden

Post by JRRushden »

Do you get the rev counter needle sort of wavering, rather than steady?

I had this on my previous TDV6 and it was an issue with the oil in the gearbox. It only happened at certain speeds around 50 was one.
Kevmunday

Post by Kevmunday »

Need to check oil in transfer box is correct and down load pcm tcm , and check front suspension arms
Kevmunday

Post by Kevmunday »

Found a similar on topic for vibration
ssm75152
Update them
Flush transferase with fresh oil
Road car
Reflush case
I would update pcm and auto box as well
Kevmunday

Post by Kevmunday »

Kevmunday wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:53 am Found on topix for vibration
ssm75152
Update tcm
Flush transfer case with fresh oil
Road test car
Reflush case
I would update pcm and auto box as well
DRW

Post by DRW »

Update

My 2L HSE Lux had this problem, I have just changed it for a 3L with 1600 miles on it, the first thing I noticed was that it did not exhibit this annoying fault ?

DRW