LR5 Off-road in Colorado

Post pictures of your Disco 5 here
dmatthews

Post by dmatthews »

The T/A KO2 looks like exactly what I need for my D5. I would need a full size spare, but am unsure of what type wheel I need or where I can get it. I'm in the USA/Canada. Any help would be appreciated!

Hrex

Post by Hrex »

I have now been driving 10K on Goodyear Duratrac 275/55/r20. Driving much of the time on gravel and off road I must say that my new tires totally change my discovery from a highway SUV to a decent off-road vehicle.

BAC40491-18B9-4D52-8932-B1BC92A5FED1.jpeg

Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Certainly looks like one of the few that's being used for what it's designed for. I myself have occasionally had to negotiate the odd tricky supermarket car park.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

Hrex wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:35 am I have now been driving 10K on Goodyear Duratrac 275/55/r20. Driving much of the time on gravel and off road I must say that my new tires totally change my discovery from a highway SUV to a decent off-road vehicle.

BAC40491-18B9-4D52-8932-B1BC92A5FED1.jpeg
Hi Hrex,

I am currently looking for some tires and can't decide which to go for.
Either GG AT3 or GY Wrangler Duratracs. - How are the Duratracs on road? Are they noisy? Any vibrations?

Greets & thanks,
Hauser
Discovery 5 (MY 2017): HSE Luxury, TDV6, Fuji White w. black roof
Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
Hrex

Post by Hrex »

There is no vibration. I dont really hear noice - but maybe Im used to it. I had a LR service guy drive the car a couple of months back and he mentioned specificly that he was surprised by the lack of noice.

I couldnt be happier with the tires.
Heatley

Post by Heatley »

Do tires really make that much of a difference for this car? That's something to consider for sure if so, definitely.
Here are some fun to use rangefinder binoculars for hunting trips.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Certainly wouldn't like to try it without tyres🤔

Sòrry couldn't resist.🤣🤣
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
Hrex

Post by Hrex »

When I decided looking for better tires I was loosing traction and slipping in uphill wet grass, despite the D5 being prased for its offroad capabilites. It was slightly muddy, but not as such that I didn’t even think if this was going to be an obsticle.

After much experience in snow, some in mud and very rocky terrain I’m overstating by saying that the wrangler duratracs improve my D5s offroad capability by 100%.

I have not noticed any major drawbacks. There is negliable change in noice level (note that I don’t drive much on motorways). It gives the car a more offroad like look. I like it, but I guess its a matter of taste. The only minus is that I feel the car struggles a bit more on very wet gravel / mud roads when driving 40 mph +. In these conditions I drive slower than I would had done.
Quade7569

Post by Quade7569 »

impressive vehicle-looks like a great trip!