New Land Rover Discovery SD4 2017 review

All Discovery 5 related discussions
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

First review up on Auto Express:

discovery-aruba_013.jpg

The fifth-generation Discovery is more refined than ever, while the addition of four-cylinder diesel power has opened up the brand’s big SUV to a new group of buyers looking for lower running costs combined with the versatility of an upmarket seven-seat 4x4. Here the Disco excels, while it’s imperious off-road, too. Factor in some smart new technology and it’s a very capable package indeed.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover ... 017-review

Lee Jackson

Post by Lee Jackson »

Thanks Rob
Welshdisco

Post by Welshdisco »

Shame they can't deliver them when they said they would isn't it? I am waiting delivery of my 6th Discovery. Paid deposit in December when I was first able to see the car, no test drive not even a brochure promised delivery for March - just found out that isn't going to happen. So 12 years brand loyalty gets me a doubling of VED courtesy of Land Rover who don't give a damn.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Don't be frustrated. Ordered mine 3rd December, gave no deposit, took delivery 16th March.
Its not a D4 its definitely different but in a better way
richl812

Post by richl812 »

I take delivery of mine on Friday!
jdr0-3

Post by jdr0-3 »

richl812 can we get a review of the 2L when you get it please. Having driven both the 3L and 2L I actually can't make my mind up which option to go for. It would be great to get some honesty from someone who actually has one to play with. I look forward to some pics on Friday :D

Cheers
Huxey

Post by Huxey »

jdr0-3 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:03 pm richl812 can we get a review of the 2L when you get it please. Having driven both the 3L and 2L I actually can't make my mind up which option to go for. It would be great to get some honesty from someone who actually has one to play with. I look forward to some pics on Friday :D

Cheers

The "reviews" I've seen on YouTube are fairly consistent in picking the 6 over the 4 because fuel efficiency is similar but the 6 has noticeably more power and less noise.
richl812

Post by richl812 »

Hi

I am taking delivery of the 3.0L not the 2.0L.

I test drove both as the dealer said I would be wowed by the 2.0L engine. As I already have a Disco 4 3.0L I test drove the Disco 5 3.0L first and found it to be a massive improvement all round.

I then tested the 2.0L and found it harder to drive compared to the 3.0L, a little unresponsive with higher revs and I thought a little whiney / noisey. My decision not to have the 2.0L was instant within a a mile of driving. As I tow a twin axle caravan weighing 1800 kgs I am of the opinion the 2.0L would not have the power capabilities of the 3.0L even though the performance is similar, the fuel efficiency would go through the floor regardless of what it says on paper - trust your gut not the reviews.

For the sake of a few more £ then its a no brainer - the 3.0L is the one to have, the 2.0L is there as it has to be to compete with others and for tax reasons.

Richard
richl812

Post by richl812 »

jdr0-3 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:03 pm richl812 can we get a review of the 2L when you get it please. Having driven both the 3L and 2L I actually can't make my mind up which option to go for. It would be great to get some honesty from someone who actually has one to play with. I look forward to some pics on Friday :D

Cheers
Hi

I am taking delivery of the 3.0L not the 2.0L.

I test drove both as the dealer said I would be wowed by the 2.0L engine. As I already have a Disco 4 3.0L I test drove the Disco 5 3.0L first and found it to be a massive improvement all round.

I then tested the 2.0L and found it harder to drive compared to the 3.0L, a little unresponsive with higher revs and I thought a little whiney / noisey. My decision not to have the 2.0L was instant within a a mile of driving. As I tow a twin axle caravan weighing 1800 kgs I am of the opinion the 2.0L would not have the power capabilities of the 3.0L even though the performance is similar, the fuel efficiency would go through the floor regardless of what it says on paper - trust your gut not the reviews.

For the sake of a few more £ then its a no brainer - the 3.0L is the one to have, the 2.0L is there as it has to be to compete with others and for tax reasons.

Richard
jdr0-3

Post by jdr0-3 »

:oops: Aha my mistake I misread the thread.

I think you make a good point when you say "trust your gut not the reviews". I want to like the 2L as it is a newer engine but like you have a D4 and wonder if I would miss that smooth V6 delivery, I could tell the 2L was a 4 pot just from the vibration in the cabin when stationary.

I possibly made the mistake of driving the two versions at different times and should have done an A-B comparison in the same trip to the dealers.

I need to finalise the spec very soon so I will continue to watch the reviews but my gut says 3L too.

J