New Grey Disco HSE Lux with Dynamic delivered

All Discovery 5 related discussions
gtsussex

Post by gtsussex »

We picked up the car on Friday. Really pleased with how it has turned out. Absolutely love it to pieces. Dynamic exterior just works (in my eyes). I also like the car with the black rails that we ordered.

So initial impressions. It's just a world away from the Disco 4. It's quieter, more car like to drive, huge difference in handling - you don't have to pilot it round roundabouts. Front seats are more comfortable and it's lovely having a infotainment system from this century. Massage seats are just wonderful (went a little bonkers with spec). Dynamic interior just right - we wanted black with the kids but white piping adds contrast.

Bad things. We can't get 3 kid seats in the back which is annoying as we look after our niece two days a week. At least front passenger seat now has isofix which solves things but still annoys me it's smaller in back.

Whoever designed the clips to hold 3rd row seat belts needs shooting. It's a stupid design and just doesn't work - they slip out too often. We've already used some wire to hold in place.

Getting used to rear tailgate - I'll be honest, it's a pain having to remember when we reverse that we have to leave space - never an issue with the old car.

Overall we love it. We miss the common sense of the old car but to drive this is just in a different league and it's just like a seven seat Range Rover, just with sensible practicality (note photo of 10 bags of rubble in back - you can't see the five behind back row!).

20170325_150320_resized.jpg

20170325_150306_resized.jpg

Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Looks really nice. Good to see your not wrapping it up in cotton wool. I've done about 10 tip runs in my D4 ready for the D5.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
Huxey

Post by Huxey »

Looks great! Is that Corris grey?
gtsussex

Post by gtsussex »

Yup. Had Firenze Red on Disco 4 so wanted a change to something a bit more subtle this time!
Adamb1

Post by Adamb1 »

Congratulations, looks awesome in Corris Grey.
I'm interested in your finding re: putting 3 kids in the back. Was this possible in the Disco4?
I am looking at 7-seaters (basically Disco4, New Disco, or XC90) to put the eldest in the back row, and a 2yo and baby in the middle row. Being able to put three in a row would also be handy when shipping nieces and nephews around.
Any more info would be really useful. Would narrower child seats help?
gtsussex

Post by gtsussex »

New Disco is most definitely narrower. We still have our old Recaro seats (non isofix) that usually live in my car for odd time I collect kids. I could sit in between them as they don't have huge 'wings' (and I've got broad shoulders). Their current seats are Britax Romer Kidfix II XP SICT Highback ISOFIX Boosters and they are quite wide at the top (48cm). I couldn't fit my shoulders in between them. But I can't see why a child wouldn't be able to do so.

We could just fit my niece's car seat in between these in Disco 4. Absolutely not a chance in hell in Disco 5. What we've done is put my niece n/s/r and my eldest now goes in the front (as this now has ISOFIX). Oh and turning airbag off now is in menu, not done by key if anyone tries to work it out. It's only for school/nursery runs and saves using 3rd row.

Advantage of the new middle seats (for non adults) is a) as they now can be moved back and forth, by default, there is more room in second row. Also they are lower which again gives more room as their legs are further down the back of the front seat.

Hope that helps!
Adamb1

Post by Adamb1 »

Thanks, that's really helpful.
I got the chance to test both the Disco4 and 5 on Sunday. Very different cars. The 4 reminded me of my old L322 RR Vogue whereas the 5 felt closer to the Disco Sport I drove a few weeks ago. You do feel more cosseted in the 5.
suttong

Post by suttong »

gtsussex - Great build! We are looking to customize a similar version here in the USA; unfortunately, the website automatically removes the dynamic package anytime we try to add the 7 seat luxury package. Did you have any issues with this? Have the dealership looking into this as well.
gtsussex

Post by gtsussex »

No issues at all. We can only buy with 7 seats over here. There are some bizarre spec rules over here that stop you ordering certain packs together. Neither the dealer or I could work out why! Ended up having to order certain bits separately to make it work. Did go a little mad on the options!