Delivery Question

All Discovery 5 related discussions
glasgow1

Post by glasgow1 »

Ordered a 2.0 SE at the end of October. Was told it would be with me by end of March. Phoned up dealer last week for an update told it would now be 7th April delivery. Phoned yesterday to be told delivery would now be 14th April and its not being "built" until 24th March. Asked dealer if they could get VIN & Engine Numbers when its built and register it before the 1st April. They said they cant register it until its with them at the showroom.
Does anyone know if this is correct? Also keen to hear what other peoples times were from build date to delivery.

Welshdisco

Post by Welshdisco »

Had every marque of Discovery, 5 in total & ordered a 3.0 HSE series 5 on 15th December at the launch day. Delivery quoted 30th March. Told in February it was scheduled to be be built on 10th for dealer delivery on 24th. Perfect as my wife's birthday is 28th so arranged to collect my £63k+ car then. Started chasing for a registration mumber as I need to transfer Insurance & drew a blank. Having hit the roof have now been told by Land rover they "HOPE" to start building it on 31st for delivery to dealers mid to late April.Land Rover customer service don't give a damn telling me that I have to expect delays "because it's a new model" so 12 years of unwaivering Brand Loyalty is rewarded with a "So What" & the pleasure of paying double the VED for the next 5 years as a special thank you.
My dealers said similar to yours regarding registration, they need the chassis & engine numbers etc to register with the DVLA & these are available to them online BUT only after Land Rover have released the vehicle as having passed quality control & that can often take 48 hours plus after it's built. LR don't know the numbers until the car has passed that particular stage of assembly so can't pre-book the registration mark.
So the bottom line is that LR have pre-sold 1000's of these unseen & untested by the buyers & in my opinon couldn't give a damn about us. You cancel & somebody else will grab it because they are that far behind. Land Rover told me my dealer alone has 22 of these outstanding for March that won't be delivered in time.
Rang Mercedes & they can delivery a GLE350 depending on spec in 4 weeks or less (and it's cheaper!) - says a lot about British Industry doesn't it?
Gus

Post by Gus »

Sorry to hear of the delay. I was told by my dealer that as long as they had the VIN number they could register the vehicle, even if it was still on the production line.

I ordered mine 3rd December without a deposit. I was advised by the dealer that built about 6th March and it landed at the dealer on 14th March.
v2cjb

Post by v2cjb »

Hang in there and wait. Worth the wait. Mine is awesome. Don't buy the Merc it will hemirage money.
gtsussex

Post by gtsussex »

Have to agree - we've just picked up ours and blimey, it's brilliant and we've only done 23 miles home.

Will take some piccies tomorrow morning.
driverjess

Post by driverjess »

Sorry to hear about all the problems.
But I cannot complain about my dealer relationship.
As I have said earlier I was offered a cancelled order for April/May.
A call in Feb said in it was available for March 25 if I specified immediately. So I did.
3 weeks ago they said it was on for the 17th , so even better.
The a call said no go .
So here I was thinking about all your situations- promises promises,etc
But they said still on for 25th.
Get a call tonight saying built and PU late next week.
So there must be issues with dealers and not all JLR fault???
Saying that will be on holiday so will not PU till April!!.
Thus I have nothing but compliments for my dealer,

Jess
v2cjb

Post by v2cjb »

Jess. Agree my dealer is awesome. Kept me up to date with details and car turned up when it should.
Randolf

Post by Randolf »

I ordered a HSE Lux in October and was originally told I would definitely get it by the end of March as the build date was around the 6th. This has now slipped twice and it is now likely going to be towards the end of April prior to taking delivery. It is very fustrating, as clearly post 1 April duty will be higher. As slight compensation, I have agreed for the dealer to maintain the trade-in price of my existing car.
Gcardale

Post by Gcardale »

I ordered my car in October and paid a deposit. I made it clear that I wanted to get delivery by the end of this month. The car was built on 10th March and dealer says it is complete. Meant to be delivered on Friday, call from dealer saying it will now be 14 April, I offered to pay for it now so it could be registered but dealer says not possible. Very annoying. He also says he will try to get compensation from LR, and has given me a loan car, so they are trying to help. I don't understand why there is such a delay between build and delivery?
driverjess

Post by driverjess »

Watch this space.
Built last Friday but problems with delivery company??
I have a Reg but not on databases yet to insure to PU as planned on Friday..
Dealer say they have a contingency to PU themselves tomorrow/Thursday.
Also having problems to juggle insurance for 3 cars with only 2 NCB - one is a lease car that will not PU till 15th April So plan to change to D5 and then reinsure 3rd car with NO.NCD and then cancel within 14 days £20-30.
Unless any othe options??
Jess