Observations from a test drive this morning

All Discovery 5 related discussions
Urbandisco

Post by Urbandisco »

Really enjoyed the test drive this morning - car felt great to drive but there were a couple of things that I found a bit odd and was wondering if anyone else had noticed these things.

Firstly, turning circle. I use my disco 4 in London a lot, and one of the things that makes it possible on those small roads is the tight turning circle - 11.45m kerb to kerb... The disco 5 has 12.3m kerb to kerb which doesn't sound much more, but to me it felt much less manoeverable. Also, the steering wheel has 2.7 turns lock to lock, whereas the disco 4 has 3.32 turns which seems to make it easier to get out of tight spots. The salesman was unable to tell me whether this is adjustable and frankly didn't really seem to get what I was talking about. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? I don't think it would be a deal breaker but it just seems to make the car less easy to drive in tight situations.

Secondly, the middle row of seats seem very short in the depth of the seat compared to the disco 4 (i.e the seat finishes mid thigh as you're sitting on it rather than extending a bit more comfortably toward the knee). It's strange, because they've made the third row much more swanky. But the thing is, if you're travelling long distances, you're unlikely to be carrying 7 people as there's no room for luggage so why make those seats more comfortable at the expense of the middle row, where you're likely to be carrying people for longer journeys? Odd.

Anyway, would be good to know your thoughts - other than these things I really liked it, although I think I would miss the split rear door and I'm kind of fond of the boxiness of the 4... am unsure whether to move with the times.... :)

Huxey

Post by Huxey »

Now I'm curious to know how short the rear seats are. Can someone measure?
v2cjb

Post by v2cjb »

IMG_1381.JPG

Here you go. About 17 inches.
Huxey

Post by Huxey »

Wow, that really is short. My BMW X5 is almost 20".
F.I.Bonxie

Post by F.I.Bonxie »

Even my Freelander 2 is 18 1/2 inches!
slickmick168

Post by slickmick168 »

The short seats initially put us off when we saw the car at the launch event.
But after weighing up the pros and cons, we decided to get one.
So whilst its not perfect (no car is), we think it is a great car